Author Topic: Can someone please help me?  (Read 859 times)

Offline Joey'sMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 27
Can someone please help me?
« on: November 01, 2005, 14:45:08 pm »
I am in desperate need of help.  I haven't even been able to visit the boards in days, maybe even a week!  I am losing my mind completely, and I don't know what to do anymore.

Joey has never been a good napper.  To balance this, he was a GREAT night sleeper.  He has never slept through, but he would go right back to sleep after his night feedings.  Then, miracle of miracles, he started napping well too.

He is now 4 months.  About a week ago, he started waking during the night, and just sort of talking.  If I left him, he'd usually just go back to sleep.  But one night, dh woke up before me, and ran in to "rescue" his little baby.  Before I could stop him, he had ds in his arms and was walk-bouncing him.

Well, ever since that night, Joey wakes EVERY HOUR during the night.  He only sleeps for 15-30 minutes at a time.  AND to make this all just more wonderful, he has stopped napping.  He now HATES his crib and anything to do with sleep.  I think he is only getting about 6 hours in a 24 hour period.

I have even tried crying it out.  I am SOOOO against that, but nothing else worked.  And you know what? Crying it out doesn't work either, so I guess that's my punishment.

So anyway, my son has not actually slept in about 7 days, and while everything is always just "a phase," this really does not seem to have any end in sight.

PLEASE HELP ME.
Mary Pat

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 15:30:08 pm »
First of all, a big <<<HUG>>>>. Sounds like you guys have been going through hell and back.

Hmm...that's pretty odd. Usually one night does not a habit make. But if everything roots back to when your DH "rescued" him, then maybe that's the cause (or it could be coincidental). But seriously, my gut tells me there's something else wrong pain related. Most babies eventually "crash" after a few days of that (non-ending sleep). And obviously he knows how to put himself back to sleep at night, since he's been a great night sleeper.

Have you ruled out everything else? Teething? Separation anxiety (usually that doesn't happen at 4 months)? Has he started solids? Have you done anything else differently in the last few weeks? Have you talked to his pediatrician?

If it's as severe as you say it is, I would definately make an appointment with his pediatrician.

When your rule out pain or other physical problem, then the thing you need to focus on is consistancy. You and your DH need to sit down and work out a plan to get through this, and whatever you do, don't change it. Talk to him about how you want to do it, what's worked before. He's definately old enough for PU/PD. Remember you can hold him until he's calm, then put him right back down. Usually almost all sleep training methods work (even CC, though it's NOT recommended) if you're consistant and persistant. I would get your night times fixed first; that's the important one. His day time sleep is developing, you're going to see a lot of 45 min naps until it works itself out, that's normal development. The fact that he's not napping at all is probably due to his night sleep being cut short. Sleep begets sleep; if he's not resting well at night, he won't rest well during the day, and vice versa.

Hope something in this helps you guys!

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005

Offline Joey'sMom

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 15:58:10 pm »
Ok, I need to add that he is not in pain.  He was a rough colic/refluxer from the beginning, so I know when that is the case.  And pu/pd only infuriates him.  The best thing I can do is pull up a stool and sit alongside the crib with my hand on his chest.  He holds my wrist in a death grip when I do this, and freaks out if I try and leave.

I am a huge believer in teaching babies independence.  Other than a binky, we have no props, and Joey has always been fine sitting on his own.  The only times I held him were if we were out, if I was transporting him from one room to the next, and during feeds.  Now, he not only insists on being held, but I have to be standing or walking.  I know that I'm the adult here, but really, after a week of crying, what else can I do?

And if he IS teething, I see no teeth.  Not even beneath the gums.
Mary Pat

Offline Joey'sMom

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 16:07:24 pm »
By the way, if he squeezes my throat with his little fingers one more time when I pick him up, I'm probably going to have a collapsed larynx and either A) die or B) lose my speaking/breathing-without-apparatus ability. :cry:
Mary Pat

Offline Beata

• Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 17:16:35 pm »
My friend had the same problem (well similar) and it turns out he was quite hungry. Could that be the problem? Her ds was on formula, so they upped that by an ounce a feeding, and evenually added cereal to his bottle (drastic measure I think, plus I think it's better to spoon feed) but it worked.