Author Topic: How to know when/if to feed 5.5mos at night wakings  (Read 1216 times)

Offline redmtq

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to know when/if to feed 5.5mos at night wakings
« on: November 01, 2005, 17:48:06 pm »
We have done EASY with our 5.5 mos DD for 2 1/2 weeks now.  I have tried DF between 10-11, but as we decided in an earlier post, since she doesn't take anything (or hardly anything), I should try just letting the DF go.  So, I have, and now I am confused.  I never know when to feed her at night when she wakes, and when to try pat/shh.  For instance, 2 nights ago she woke on her own at 10:40, ate really well, and did the same again at 4:45.  Last pm, she woke at 10:30 and was crying, but once I started to feed her, she passed out and hardly nursed, even with 20 min of trying.  Then she was up at 1:20 (a repeat of crying and then hardly taking anything) and then she was awake for good at 5:45 (I waited till 6:45 to feed her and she did ok waiting).

How do I know if and when I should feed her and when I should try to get her back to sleep?  If she is truly hungry then I want to feed her, but if not, then I know by trying I am training her to require the breast to get back to sleep.  What do you think?

Cathy

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 04:57:34 am »
it is a really hard call, esp as if she is anything like my 5.5mo  he is so distracted by everything in the day so I am never sure if he feeds enough each time.
What I have been doing with day feeds is offering & then offering again 1/2 hour later... then I kind of feel like he probably has taken enough... that means if he wakes before he's been asleep 8 hours I don't feel I have to feed him... that said he is a great sleeper & goes for 8+ most nights. '

At this age you need to pick a time by which you are comfortable on average she could be hungry by & not feed before then. Unless you go in & there is obvious rooting going on (I would give her 6 hours from bedtime or 5 from a df if you wish to reintroduce)

I also wanted to add I know with my ds#2 having a toddler around is very stimulating, so even though Liam can do 2.5 hours awake time he is often overstimulated by all that is happening, so I tend to try & put him down for a nap earlier (1.75hours) & that tends to give me better sleep & also less time away from my toddler.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline redmtq

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 18:42:45 pm »
I feel the exactly way you mention--unsure if she is getting enough during the day because she is so easily distracted.  She shows such an interest in what we eat (she sits on my lap during meals and I notice that she is always watching now and grabbing for the spoon) that I have begun solids and she seems to really like it (trys to do the spoon herself).

May I ask what your schedule looks like if your baby naps after 1.75 of A.  It seems that he would take more than 2-3 naps that way.  How does it work?

Thanks for all the help.

Cathy

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 21:32:58 pm »
I can't say we have a 'regular' routine in that activities tend to restrict it.
Liam isn't on solids & is a very big (9.5kg 21lb) boy but manages very well on 5-6 feeds... that said those feeds are 2-3 offerings over 1/2hour

around 7am tells me he's up & feed... I will offer 2-3 times in 1/2 hour

Back down for a nap anywhere between 8 & 9.30am... Liam can wake & play in his cot for more than an hour (I discovered) before making noises enough for me to hear & get him, so I have to judge his needs on "getting whingy"
The first nap varies in time if we have to go out then I get him up or I let him sleep. Next feed I offer also depends on what we are doing... if we are going out. So this may be anywhere between 9.30 am & 11. just depends. If Liam gets woken or doesn't have a good first sleep, he will sleep in the car or pram.
Middle of the day nap is very routine... fits around Aiden. goes down about 12.30/1pm for about 2-2.5 hours If Liam fed at 9.30ish then I will offer another feed before this nap (sometimes falls asleep feeding - but I'm ok with that)
Feed about 3pm (+/- 1/2 hour)
Catnap in the pram around 4.30/5pm
6.45pm bath (maybe offer 1 side before feed if fed early at 3pm)
7.30 feed & bed.
Sleep until morning

Now I must add here I had a much more structured routine from 1mo to 4mo, but as I got to know how Liam reacted I loosened it to fit the family so I kind of had something to fall back on if any changes messed it up & so made little changes & that is how it got to where we are.
Liam is also a Super easygoing baby & yes does sleep about 11 hours overnight... I just wish my 2yo would - I am lucky to get 3 nights a week that he does that well, but he needs a really set routine & when he was about 6mo my dh & I used to say you only needed to hiccup at the wrong time & that was it for a good nights sleep. Different babies temprements seem to play a big part & some like Liam just go with the flow & others like Aiden fight every step of the way.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline redmtq

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 02:05:05 am »
Thanks for taking the time to post your schedule.  I think, from looking at your day, that my problem stems from the fact that her naps are still way too short.  By putting her down at around the 2 hour marks, she would be napping alot during the day.

Cathy