Author Topic: New to EASY naps  (Read 1356 times)

Offline mindyellen1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 01, 2005, 18:52:01 pm »
Hello, Baby Jack and I just started EASY today.  He's 12 months this week.  He's a great baby, (close to Textbook) however, we just aren't very good at naps and sleeping in general.  We have not resorted to the cry it out method, in fact I've realized I am his continual prop - no wonder he always happy - I'm always there to hold him!  He's been in his crib at night since just after a month old, however I'm horribly inconsistent when it comes to nap locations and there are tons to trips into the nursery each night.  Today's nap issues: When I lay him down following the books methods (I've done the 4 S's) he crys/screams continually after a few PU/PD.  As if to say "I get it, you're just going to put me down again, and I'm mad about it!"  I am not holding him for longer than 4 minutes at a time.  In fact much less, because he arches his back, and I know not to fight him.  We took nearly the entire nap period to get to sleep.  Am I correct that if he just continues to cry, I simply lay him down and then immediately pick him back up if the Shhh pat doesn't work?  Of course he's too worked up for the Shh pat, so I've felt I have no choice but to pick him up immediately.

Needing reassurance,
Mindy   :?

Offline Isom'smom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Tennessee
New to EASY naps
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 01:11:42 am »
Oh, sweetie, the first day is not the hardest, but definitely the most nerve wracking.  Just be consistent and things will fall into place.  The other mommies on the board can give you better details on the sleep training with the PU/PD than I can, but I did want to offer my encouragement, and let you know we've all been there.

((((((((Hugs)))))))))
Crystal

Offline mindyellen1

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 15:00:26 pm »
After re-reading my own post, I'm realizing how the sleep deprevation must be affecting all of us - I wrote that my lo is "12 months this week", when really he is 12 weeks!  :lol:  ugh!!!

Last night (our first night) was ok.  I fed him at 6:30, tried the 4 S's, and laid him down at 7:30.  Of course he just wanted to smile at me in the crib (he couldn't be cuter!  :) after an hour awake time and pupd he fell asleep at 8:30.  Then I woke him up at 11 for a dream feed - he did great, never woke up.  :D  Then he cried out at 4:30 - I fed him.  He was only down for a short time, back up at 5:30.  Between a paci and short pupd he was down again until 6:30.  By that time I thought I should go ahead and let him stay awake.  I fed him at 7 and we seem to be on track, except for the dreaded 30 minute nap and a sad session of pupd to get him down again.  :(

Is anyone else having a similar experience?  Are we doing OK?  What should I do when he wakes up at 5:30?  So many questions - so glad you're here!!!!! :D

Mindy

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
New to EASY naps
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 22:17:57 pm »
How is day 2 going? 

and welcome!!

Offline mindyellen1

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 13:34:32 pm »
Day two was great - minimal pupd at nap time.  Still, he couldn't make it past 30 minutes, but with some pupd and shhh he stuck it out.  That night he went down quickly at 7:30, dream feed at 10:30, woke up at 4:30 - I fed him, and back down until 8:20!  In fact we all slept until then!  Of course I was expecting him to wake earlier and should have set an alarm to get him up at 7 - Ugh.  However, the extra sleep was nice.  After an 8:20 wake up I tried to adjust the routine, and pay extra attention to his cues.  However, it was a bad, bad day.  :(   Do you think the later wake up time is to blame?  We spent 30 -40 minutes of pupd for naps, and an hour and a half of pupd at bed time.   :cry:  We still did the dream feed at 11:00, he woke at 4:30 again, fed him, then he woke by himself at 6:30. I'm exhausted.  I feel like it will never get better.  The 30 minutes of crying for a short nap just doesn't feel worth it.  I work out of my home so I can't give up, I've got to get him on a schedule - but I'm very frustrated.  How long until it gets better?  How can I ever leave the house? I'm so scared to get off schedule, after our morning flub!  I'm also wondering about the whole pupd and shh pat method - doesn't the whole thing just become one big prop? Help

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
New to EASY naps
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 22:36:59 pm »
Oh dear, sorry it was a bad day.  I know exactly the kinda pressure you are under as I too work from home and I NEEDED dd to nap so I could work.  You can't get anything done in 30min or 45min.  That is a lot of pressure to put on you both, but I can tell you it will get better.  Keep in mind it takes 2-3 weeks to change a dc's bio-rhythm.

It is normal for them to get better and then regress, but don't let that fool you keep on track and you should see it turn around again.

Quote (selected)
I'm also wondering about the whole pupd and shh pat method - doesn't the whole thing just become one big prop?

pu/pd and shh/pat is an alternative form of sleep training.

I picked this up from another thread...
"Instead of using CIO or controlled crying, you are staying with your child, while you are giving them opportunities to self soothe. If used correctly, then it's a teaching tool.. if you pick up every single time your baby cries, then it becomes a prop.

There are certain types of cries that you DO NOT pick up on.. the fussy type of cry, the mantra type of cry, the self soothing type of cry.. but the hysertical-need-you-now-because-I-can't-calm-down-and-I'm-passed-the point-of-no-return, you DO pick up.

Also, you have to make pu.pd age appropriate. Before 4 months old, you should do not attempt pu.pd.. Tracy recommends using pat-shush. After 4 months old, when an infant begins to self soothe with intent, then you can use pu.pd. Tracy has guidelines for each age group (4 months, 4-6 months etc) in her new book, because you have to adapt it.

Essentially, it is Tracy's alternative to CIO and CC, which she feels maintains the respect, trust and security for your child."

I think that you should limit your pu/pd and stick w/ shh/pat as much as you can since it maybe too stimulating for your young LO.

I hope this helps.