Author Topic: LO doesn't feed long anymore. Getting enough?  (Read 1059 times)

Offline jsmith328

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
LO doesn't feed long anymore. Getting enough?
« on: November 02, 2005, 00:23:21 am »
just wondering if anyone else has had this situation. My DS used to feed for an hour the first month then he went down to 30 minutes. The past couple of weeks he has only been eating mayber 15 and sometimes 20 after that he usually starts to fuss and acts like he want to suck but pulls off the minute he starts. Lately I've been giving him the paci when he gets this way. He seems to be fine with that but I don't know if he's eating enough. When I express and feed him with the bottle he eats all of it and doesn't get fussy. Any suggestions?

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 01:35:54 am »
Without knowing his age, I would guess he's between 3-4 months? That is the prime age for quick feeds, distracted feeds, and fussy feeding. You could try stretching out the length between feeds by 15 min or so to see if he is hungrier, he'll eat better. As long as he's getting 5-7 bfs per day (at 3-4 months), happy and sleeping well, he's probably getting enough.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline jsmith328

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 02:16:09 am »
Thanks-he's almost 3 months so I guess it's pretty normal-I'll try extending his feeds

Offline joannec

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 10:19:10 am »
My DS is nearly 14 weeks old and has been doing the same thing off and on for a few weeks. The extended time between feeds works really well. If all else is OK, they will feed better when they're a bit hungrier, and have had a bit of time to play, look at the light, laugh at you etc. Sometimes the distracted one has to be taken back to his room to feed during the day but not often. I guess this too will pass....
Cheers Jo
Jo
DS - Noah born 29/7/05