Author Topic: no naps or very short naps  (Read 983 times)

Offline allysmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 02, 2005, 03:36:32 am »
I am sure that somebody has already asked this, but I honestly don't have the time to search all the posts, since I am exhausted.  My dd is 9 months old and we have done accidental parenting the whole time.  We are implementing PU/PD at night, which is slowly working, and trying during the day. 
The problem is that Allison has never slept well, day or night, and has never been on much of a routine.  Its kinda of a vicious cycle--she's not napping because she's not on a routine, and she's not on a routine because she wouldn't nap.  Even as a 2-3 month old, she never really took substantial naps.  She might sleep on your chest after being burped, but then wake up if you laid her down.  In fact, most of her naps used to be in the car, or if I rocked or nursed her to sleep or let her sleep on my chest. 
Now, I am trying a wind-down routine,  dark room, cradled, music, shh-pat, but she falls asleep after 5-10 minutes and then wakes up in the crib ready to sit and stand up.  The last week and a half, it has taken an hour of PU/PD each day and then I physically can't do it anymore.  The first few days--nothing.  Then, she slept for  15-25 minutes.  Even when she sleeps after she nurses, it isn't for long.  And no, she is not rested.  She is starting to sleep 8-9 hours at night, but even if she naps twice for 30 minutes, its not enough sleep.  And she is cranky!!!!!  She is a very spirited and active baby, who really doesn't do quiet time or cuddles, which makes it more difficult to wind her down day or night.
Any ideas on how to make naptime work????!!!!!!
Thanks!
~Sara, mother to Allison, 9 months old

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
no naps or very short naps
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 04:30:44 am »
Sara

You are moving in the right direction to eliminate the accidental parenting and teaching your LO to fall alseep independently.

How long have you been working w/ the new methods?

In your nap wind down at what point are you putting her down?

Even when she sleeps after she nurses, it isn't for long
Has this happened in the past week and half??