Author Topic: What do you do with "extra" EBM?  (Read 1234 times)

mommytsa

What do you do with "extra" EBM?
« on: November 02, 2005, 15:38:16 pm »
First a little background:  My ds had latch problems until he was 6 weeks old, and because of that, I was pumping exclusively during that time.  I figured, if I had to pump 6-8 times a day, I might as well pump as much as I could so I'd have a store of frozen milk if I ever needed it.  I didn't plan on having TONS, and didn't think that I'd end up with more than I could ever possibly use, so I didn't think to get tested to send it to a milk bank.  Now the milk bank won't take it because I didn't get tested before I pumped it.  My DS is now almost 6 months old, and the milk bank won't take donated milk if I pumped it now and just used the frozen stuff I already have and froze the new stuff.  I have approx. 350 oz in a deep freezer which will "expire" in March.

What do I do with this stuff?  I HATE to throw it away, but I don't know what else I can do with it.  I offered it to a friend of mine who is having twins by surrogate and won't be able to BF, but I first mentioned it to her 2 months ago, and she said that she'd check with her dr about it and get back to me the next week.  I still haven't heard anything from her, so I'm thinking either the dr said that it wasn't recommended (since I know it's not), or she changed her mind and doesn't want it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Like I said, I REALLY don't want to throw it away!  TIA!

Offline jbepko

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 16:10:48 pm »
You can use your frozen supply for mixing in rice cereal instead of fresh expressed. Also use your stock for bottles while away- you could still pump at those times to keep up your supply if needed. Start dropping an occassional nursing session with EBF in a sippy/bottle. An occassional dropped feeding won't hurt your milk supply and can help build sippy cup skills. Have DH take over one feeding my bottle and give yourself a break- regular trip to gym, or pedicure, ladies' night out. That frozen milk can give you freedom!! I have 650 ozs in a stand alone freezer that will allow me to stop pumping at work in another couple of months and yet he will be EBF for my goal on one year.
Jeni

mommytsa

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 16:51:42 pm »
Thanks for the ideas.  I am going to drop a pumping session (I work full-time) and just use frozen stuff for DS second bottle.  I figure if I start to run out, I can always add that session back in. 

I appreciate the ideas!

Offline Schae

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 18:55:23 pm »
Okay, this is a little strange, but whenever I had 'extra' EBM that was going to be thrown away, I gave it to my dog :oops:
At least it wasnt' going down the drain, and he seemed to enjoy it :?  :lol:

But it wasn't bottles and bottles of EBM, maybe one or two that hadn't been used and were going to waste.
Proud mama to
Luka 22 Feb 2010 Textbook/Spirited
Tiisetso 18 Sep 2010 Textbook/Touchy
and three little angels

mommytsa

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 19:07:03 pm »
hehehe!!  That made me smile, and I so needed that today!  I can just see my dog lappign it up my the bowlful!!!  LOL