Author Topic: ready2 b unswaddled??  (Read 1065 times)

Offline f1re_cr4cker

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: November 02, 2005, 20:14:29 pm »
my lo has been swaddledsince she was 2 wekes and is now 16 weeks.i swaddled her as she has always been very jerky, flailing her arms around hitting her self and waking herself up.

however the past couple of weeks ive noticedh ow much better her arm control is- grabbing stuff more- eating hands mroe etc and pnce she has had her bedtime milk she is utteryl still when i put her on the bed with her arms abovve her head ready to be swaddled.she  actualyl get squite cross when i move her from the chair to the bed then the bed to the cot!!

or do u think i should just wait till the more recommended time of around 4 1/2 months? im not saying shes ready for it during the day neseccarily as that can be mroe difficult to get her off to sleep anyway but she has alwas been good at going down at night.

what do u think? try it at nigth at the weekend or leave it a bit longer just to be sure?

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
ready2 b unswaddled??
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 22:45:11 pm »
could probably go either way.  you could try it & if it doesn't work, go back to swaddling.

fwiw, i quit when my kids could break out of the swaddle & not wake up crying about it.   :wink:
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline vickytxs

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
ready2 b unswaddled??
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 18:58:41 pm »
could you tell me about what time that was, when your kids could break out of the swaddle? my son is 5 and a half months old, will be 6 months in 2 weeks and he still is swaddled. he sleeps better swaddled but has been trying to roll over, he cant yet. last night he went to sleep not swaddled but woke up and hour later, went back to sleep unswaddled and on his side, woke up again and then it all happened again. i ended up swaddling him and then he didnt wake. so im assuming that means he still is okay to be swaddled and just isnt quite ready yet? any advice or could you share any tips or your experiences???

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
ready2 b unswaddled??
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 21:48:58 pm »
hi vicky,

jaina was around 6 months when i quit swaddling her - and i probably could have quit sooner with her, but i didn't quite understand her signals yet.  plus, she was so textbook she didn't really care as long as she got to go to sleep!   :lol:

luke was around 7.5 months, and he really did need it until then - seemed to like the close comfort.

i agree with you - sounds like your lo isn't quite ready to give it up yet.  although, if he does master the rolling over in bed soon, you will likely want to quit for safety reasons.

HTH  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline vickytxs

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
ready2 b unswaddled??
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 22:15:34 pm »
thanks jaime. i think im just afraid that he will get to the point of not wanting to be swaddled and/or rolling over and then ill have a hard time getting him to sleep without it, you know what i mean? like a catch 22. he still rubs his eyes soooo much, fidgets, moves his arms and just generally doesnt seem to know what to do with himself when he's sleepy. it was a miracle that he fell asleep without the swaddle, i went in at one of the wake up times and gently held his arms down and he fell asleep. did it again this evening for a catnap and he slept for about 30 minutes. so im thinking he is very slowly starting to be able to sleep without it but not for very long. im hoping that it will all just fall into place with him but i cant help worrying sometimes..... :roll: