Author Topic: Feeding dilemma - any suggestions?  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Emmy's Mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Feeding dilemma - any suggestions?
« on: November 03, 2005, 01:33:33 am »
Hello all - I am in a bit of a dilemma. I have a 4.5 month old who has stopped sleeping for long stretches at night for the last month or so. Initially I had no idea what was causing it but realise now that it's because she isn't getting enough calories during the day and is making up for it at night. The solution should be simple then: feed more during the day.  :roll: That's where my problem lies - my little girl is very very easily distracted and will NOT feed for very long. She takes in just enough to satisfy her hunger (it seems like) then that's it for the feed. Sometimes if I offer her the 2nd breast she'll take some more - but then she only ever gets the foremilk! I know she can feed longer as she does it at night. I have tried increasing time between feeds, reducing time between feeds - nothing seems to work  :? Is this a phase?? Feeding times have become a bit of a battle ground and some days I think I may have to wean and go straight to the bottle as I could then see how much she takes :(  - but I would love to continue BFing. I would welcome any suggestions.
Em 13/6/2005
Aidan 11/1/2007

Offline ginger

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 02:03:11 am »
Have you tried  feeding her in a very quiet place during the day, with little distractions?  It could be a phase as I know my 4 month old daughter goes 2 weeks sleeping 10-12 hours and then 2 weeks where she is up once or twice in the night.  A mystery to me, but I've now realized that the only constant with a baby is CHANGE! :wink:

Offline Emmy's Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 02:40:51 am »
Hi Ginger - thanks for your suggestion but I am already doing that  :? It's the only way she would even take enough to satisfy her initial hunger. But even with no sounds, movement or distractions she gets distracted! She starts playing with her hands and would stop her feeds to have a bit of a look around, then she would look at me and start "talking" and smiling....! It's all very cute but very fustrating :?
Em 13/6/2005
Aidan 11/1/2007

Offline joannec

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 03:36:37 am »
Hi Emmy's Mum, how long does she usually go between day feeds? Is this the same as before the fussing/distractions came about?
Jo
DS - Noah born 29/7/05

Offline Emmy's Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 04:52:45 am »
Pretty much - she usually goes approx 3 hrs between feeds. Sometimes 3.5 hrs, but then again sometimes after 2.5 hrs she'll be hungry....It's all very erratic atm (used to be very predictable)  :?
Em 13/6/2005
Aidan 11/1/2007

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 18:41:30 pm »
For some babies, it is a phase - the being easily distracted...but it can last a while... :( I had to feed dd RIGHT when she woke up and was still sleepy in the bedroom with no lights.  Some moms also find that it helps to stretch them longer between feeds so they're hungrier and not snacking - but that really depends on the baby - not all of them can really go that long. Also, sometimes breast compression helps to get the flow going and make it more interesting.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Emmy's Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 23:45:56 pm »
What is breast compression? When does this stage generally end? (although I'm sure once we get past this hurdle there'll be others to follow!). Last night was pretty bad in that my lo woke up at 11.30 and screamed and cried until 3am. I can't work out why - it wasn't hunger as I fed her and she didn't want much and we changed her nappy - she just hated the sight of her cot - once out she refused to go back in.... :? ...She generally has no probs settling so I'm hoping it was just a once off...Anyway, I digress.

I have tried feeding DD as soon as she wakes up from a sleep, however, she doesn't seem to take much then either. I have resorted to feeding her in my walk-in wardrobe as it is much darker in there and quieter (I've realised that the sounds of birds etc outside her bedroom window may have added to her distraction). So far, there's been a slight improvement - but I've only done it once. Just a thought: she has been bottle fed with EBM about 3 times a week at the babysitter's - could this be contributing to the fact that she only seems to want to drink when there is a fast letdown?

Sorry I've waffled a bit but I am sleep deprived and am finding it hard to put my thoughts in order atm  :roll:
Em 13/6/2005
Aidan 11/1/2007

annamum

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 00:11:19 am »
Yes, bottle feeding can negatively impact the breastfeeding. Does she have a fast flow nipple on her bottles? Can you go back to the slow one, that way she would have to work harder on her bottle, by comparison breastfeeding wouldn't seem to be such a workout?

When my dd was distracted during nursing I offered her a toy that was reserved for nursing only, it has to be something attractive to keep her busy, I also sung a song to her. Some moms swear by nursing necklaces, these are basically necklaces that you can let your baby play with while you wear them during breastfeeding. The more colorfull they are the better.

Breast compression is a technique where you squeeze your breast with one hand when your dd slows down sucking but is still sucking on your breast. That way she will get all of your milk faster. To see how it works click on the link below and scroll down to find "breast compression" link: http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

Offline Emmy's Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 00:33:08 am »
Hi Annamum, thanks for your suggestions - I'll look into a nursing necklace, I've tried toys and singing but they distracted her more. As for the teats, I've only used the slow flow ones. I'm going to try breast compression at the next feed - hopefully we'll get somewhere...I'll let you know - thanks for all these suggestions - something's got to work - I'll keep trying  :)
Em 13/6/2005
Aidan 11/1/2007

annamum

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 00:43:46 am »
Good luck!

Offline Emmy's Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 02:53:09 am »
Hi! Just to update you guys, the nursing necklace worked!! Mind you, I've only tried it once so far but she was able to nurse for almost 8 minutes before she pulled off - that's huge progress as she was averaging 3 minutes prior to this. Hopefully, this isn't a once off but thanks for that suggestion Annamum!  :D
Em 13/6/2005
Aidan 11/1/2007

Offline hbcwhit

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 18:43:51 pm »
My problem exactly!  My son is always popping off,looking around.  After 5 minutes he pops off.  Sometimes I'm lucky for him to take 3 minutes!I've had him weighed before and after nursing........5 minutes is 2.5-3oz for him.  He eats every 4 hours.......not enough for sure he's 7 months old!  I've tried getting him to feed every 2 hours hoping to make more milk....he refuses arches his back and cries!  So after hiding in the bathroom..doesn't work anymore.I've resorted to feeding him while he's falling to sleep!  Goes against easy but it's the only way I can get him to eat!  And of course a few night feedings.  Nothing new there!  I'm wondering if I should try and NOT feed him during the night, I'm just afraid he'll totally reject the boob!

Offline violet41

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 23:13:20 pm »
I've had the same problem with my spirited dd, now 5 months, since she was 3 months old!

She likes looking at our tv remote (it has different coloured buttons on it) so I hold it in front of  her face and sometimes that keeps her from coming off the breast during feeds.  But this only helps a little.

I also got professional advice from a nurse - first we tried feeding her more often, with the aim of ensuring she gets enough calories during the day, but that didn't work.  Now we're going to try stretching out her feeds to 4-hourly in the hope that when she does feed, she feeds properly.

Good luck for both of us!

Violet from NZ.