Author Topic: Scared of her room or crib???? HELPPPPP  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Ellies_mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Scared of her room or crib???? HELPPPPP
« on: November 03, 2005, 19:05:15 pm »
Ok where to start :). I have written numerous times about how my terrible my DD`s sleeping is and now its escalating to something thats really strting to worry me. When she was younger we wanted to break the 45 minute sleep cycle. We tried everything and at the same time my DH hurt his back therefore he couldnt bend over to put her in her crib so he had her take her naps on our bed, with him laying beside her throughout. He managed to break the 45 min naps and she has been a wonderful napper since. Shes still napping on our bed. Oh did I mention my DH is at home raising her. It was my turn to help her do her nights. I did PU/PD for approx 2 weeks and things got progressively better each evening. I was able to do the bed time routine, bottle, book and bed for months. I never managed to actually leave her room unless she was fast asleep. In the last  6 months I can count the number of times shes gone a whole night without waking on one hand. She normally wakes a few times in the night but its mainly quick wakeups. I go into her room and shes usually sitting up calling for me, I tell her to lay back down, get her comfy and shes asleep in seconds. Some nights arent as easy but I chalk those nights to teething or possibly gas. The last couple of weeks have been getting worst and worst. It first started with her waking at night, more and more and the sessions lasted longer and longer. I keep her in her room and basically hold her if shes crying, calm her down and then gently put her in her bed. She can sometimes lay there for 45 minutes eyes wide open till she falls asleep, meanwhile I cannot leave the room otherwise she`ll start crying and we start the whole process all over again. So I sit there, resting my head on the bars of her crib and have also fallen asleep :). Last night was terrible. I did the whole wind down bed time routine, bottle followed by a few books, then it was time to place her in her bed, she was literally climbing me as I tried to sit her in her crib. We discovered a popup book that she loves and we keep it in her bed. I tried telling to look at her book, nothing worked, she was frantic to get out. She has a giraffe shes been sleeping with since 6 months, she didnt even want to hold her giraffe while sitting in her bed. My DH and I are lost. There isnt anything new in the house, nothing new in her room, no new toys that could have scared her....we just dont know what to think anymore. Since birth shes had this fisher price aquarium on her crib and she normally likes looking at the fish and the music it plays has been her bedtime lullaby since forever....last night she didnt even want it in her bed...she kept waving bye bye and when I asked her if she wanted her fish out of her bed she kept nodding yes yes!!! I removed it but it didnt help in anyway. Heres what I`m thinking and dont think I`m crazy please...lol. First, could it be separation anxiety? Of course you say but we have never left her, DH or I have been her only caregivers, shes never ever been babysat. Secondly, I would think shes reacting cause she want our bed rather than hers, but why is it getting worst and worst, until a few weeks ago it was never an issue. I`m really gonna make some of you laugh now....could it be spiritual but not in an evil way? Let me try to explain. One night when she was wide eyed and I was sat waiting for her to fall asleep she was staring at things in her room and then she waved bye bye (to whom or what I dont know), turned over and fell asleep. I found that odd and have not forgotten it. Like I mentioned, she has never ever been a good sleeper and its getting worst. Could something keep waking her up to play?? We dont live in an old house, we dont have any used furniture, we dont loose things nor have we heard or seen anything in the house to justify any of this, its just something that entered my mind since that night when she waved. Now it could also be something she was thinking and not seeing....do you see how confused I am. My DH and I agreed this week that we would take turns putting her to bed. We are trying to be firm yet calm and gentle, she need to understand that she sleeps in her bed come evening. We tell her that shes safe, we hold her in our arms, comfort her, speak calmly and softly....we think we are doing everything right yet obviously we`re not cause its not working, its getting worst!!! Our DD isnt a textbook baby, she very spirited yet loving and I dont even want to imagine what the teens years will bring, lol, but for now all I want is for her have a restful sleep in a room and a bed thats not fearful. Do we remove her crib and have her sleep on mattress or on a mat on the floor. Is there anyone out there whos been in the same situation or knows of anyone whos been through something similar?? Can anyone help...??
Thanks a bunch!!!

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 19:59:35 pm »
how old is your lo?  13, 14 months?

definitely sounds a lot like separation anxiety to me.  even though you never have left her with anyone else she is starting to become aware that she is a separate person from you, and not an extension of you.  she's learning that things can go away, and she may not yet understand that they always come back.

it sounds like you might be a prop at this point.  you will probably want to make the adjustment gradually, but i'm not exactly sure how you can go about doing that... the ladies over in the props forum & the getting back on track forum are excellent at providing moms with plans & advice for that type of thing.

good luck!   :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline Ellies_mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 03:08:01 am »
Thanks for the imput. Things have been slowly getting better. Shes somewhat whinning when it comes to putting her in her bed but we are trying to comfort her yet keep her in her room.
I think you hit the nail on the head with separation anxiety. My DH and I were both wondering the same thing. We realised that as she gets older, its not the bed thats the problem but shes now understanding that she is at some point left alone in her room therefore she awakes and nobody is there. This week we`ve also noticed that once she see my DH getting on his "outdoor" clothes that she becomes clingy, so yep separation anxiety is right. I will also check out the prop forus.
I was really starting to worry, shes nearly 15 months old and way to young to be taken out of her crib. I would have had no choice but to have her sleep on some sort of mat on the floor!!
Thank you sooo much. I always feel soo much better sharing my fears and frustrations :).