Author Topic: overtired in the late afternoons??  (Read 1546 times)

Offline seaflower

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: November 03, 2005, 20:28:55 pm »
Hi all,

DD is on 3-3.5 hour EASY fr the last week and doing quite well. One problem we still have is that she gets very upset in the late afternoons. I've ruled out hunger, wet nappies, etc... so think it could be she is overtired.

For example, today she had two feeds and two long naps (45mins+an hour each, she still wakes at the middle) by 2:30,
BF at 2:40
nap 3:40- 4:10

and at 4:30 she was as if she never slept- very fussy... Could she be overtired so quickly? And if so, should I try and get her to have a long nap instead of a catnap? Should I try and put her back to sleep even if she had just had a good hour in the late afternoon?
My little princess is 2.5 :) Textbook/Angel/Spirited toddler
My little munchkin is few weeks old and doesn't understnd EASY!

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
Re: overtired in the late afternoons??
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 01:25:39 am »
Quote from: seaflower
For example, today she had two feeds and two long naps (45mins+an hour each, she still wakes at the middle) by 2:30,

I'm not sure what this means.  Are you saying she's sleeping for an hour and 45 min or are you saying she sleeps between 45 min and 1 hour?

Just curious... what time is her bedtime?  Could you post a sample routine of the day?

From what I can tell with the info you've posted, it sounds as if she may need more sleep during that last nap.  If she's not getting 15 hours of sleep every day, let her sleep a little bit more.  She's young enough where she needs her sleep much more than an activity time.  I doubt it will interfere with her nighttime sleep (depends on when her bedtime is).
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline seaflower

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 21:33:04 pm »
Quote from: GG

I'm not sure what this means.  Are you saying she's sleeping for an hour and 45 min or are you saying she sleeps between 45 min and 1 hour?

She slept for 45 minutes, woke up, takes me between 15 to 30 mins to settle her back to sleep and then she sleeps for another hour.

Quote from: GG
Just curious... what time is her bedtime?  Could you post a sample routine of the day?
She goes to bed between 7 and 8pm, depending on her last nap and feed.

A typical day would be

E 7:30
A
S 8:30 - 9:15
S 9:30 - 10:30
E 11
A
S 12:00 - 12:45
S 13 - 14
A
E 14:30
S 15 - 15:45
A

And from here on she is very hard to settle, and the feeding times are also hard to adjust.

I usually manage to get her to have one more nap around 5-6 for 45 mins and she wouldn't sleep any longer. I settle her in the exact same way as for her other naps, she goes so easy during the days, but the late afternoons are a nightmare.

Today she cried for an hour, so I took her downstairs for 10 mins, fed her again (was totally exhausted) and when she finally settled afterwards kept waking up every 5-10 mins crying for her dummy.

I know this is not a sleep question, but if I feed her, lets say, at 2:30pm, and she is on 3.5 EASY and going to bed 7-8pm when should the next feed(s) be??

Offline seaflower

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 08:44:45 am »
Ok, didn't want to post separate thread... BUT her NIGHT SLEEP is REGRESSING again!!!

She used to feed every 2 hours two weeks ago, since then managed to get her on 3.5 EASY with 4-hour feedings during the night. She was fine for few days, even did a long 7-hour strech. Now she is up again every hour after 2am...it was very hard to resist BF-ing her every hour last night as I was exhauseted from lack of sleep!

Any ideas why? Haven't done anythign different. Is there a growth spurt around this time (she gulped down her DF)? How do I know it's teething (she is OK during the day)?

I really hope somebody has an idea, as at this point Id rather BF her every 2 hours and sleep!!!!

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
overtired in the late afternoons??
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 20:24:07 pm »
hi,

i think part of the regression has to do with her naps being so unsettled - she is having such problems with staying asleep that i think she's not quite getting the rest she needs.

part of it is also probably developmental - 4 months is a classic time for nighttime sleep to be disturbed.  they are learning so many things that they want to just practice all the time - even at night.

the good news is that since she will resettle for you during naptime, you are a lot closer to turning the corner with her.  i would suggest that you continue to resettle her as you have been to help break that 45-min nap cycle.

also, it looks like you have her up from maybe 15:45 - 20:00?  that is way too long for a baby her age.  if you would like to keep bedtime around that time, i would try & settle her down for a catnap around 17:30 so she can make it through.

HTH   :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline seaflower

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 17:21:03 pm »
Jamie, thanks for the reply. It seems to be moving from bad to worse. In fairness, she seems quite happy but sleeping less and less! I would try and get her to take a nap in the late afternoon, but most of the times she won't... so I juts put her to bed earlier, e.g. 6:30pm.

She also seems to be hungry earlier today, ended up b-feeding her every 3 hours. Do they go tru a growth spurt at 4 months???

I feel as if I'm hitting a brick wall most of the time, as things constantly seem to change. When we figure out the eating, the sleep goes all over the place, when the sleep is OK, she feeds at odd times... She does look happy and content, and gaining weight, so guess it is really only MY problem:)) I would love some Y time...

On the good nore, she took three naps unswaddled today. Kept her awake  for 2 hours, instead of for 1 as usual, and when I put her down, she was fast alseep within a minute. Only lasted for 45 mins and won't go back to sleep - kept looking at me and smiling, and cooing :D

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 01:34:42 am »
I feel as if I'm hitting a brick wall most of the time, as things constantly seem to change. When we figure out the eating, the sleep goes all over the place, when the sleep is OK, she feeds at odd times...

so true!  i think it's God's way of keeping us on our toes!!!!   :roll:  :lol:

sounds like you're doing lots of right things.  she may be transitioning to a 4-hour EASY.  i'd keep rolling with it and within the month you may be on a whole new routine!   :wink:
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 03:38:22 am »
It's only the beginning.  The changes just keep on coming!  :?

Growth spurts can happen at any time.  It just depends on the little one.  As long as she's gaining weight and is smiling and cooing at you when she wakes up, you're doing a great job!  (unfortunately, you just don't get very much "Y" time.  I promise, that will change as she gets older!!)
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline seaflower

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 12:15:00 pm »
She still wakes up from her last nap at 3:30pm and won't go for another until bedtime (7:30pm). Yesterday I tried  to get her to sleep from 5 until 6:30 (she kept drifting to sleep for 5 mins and waking up), nad finally gave up and got her up, cuddle/fed and off to sleep for the everning. I was out so DH said she screamed until 8:30 when he fell asleep in his arms.

She just won't nap in the afternoons, and she ends up so tired before bed time!

PS It was a growth spurt, and it is over now!