Author Topic: 19mth old - Why does he wake up crying?  (Read 1571 times)

Offline DFreeman

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: November 03, 2005, 21:57:11 pm »
My little man is 19th months old and ALWAYS wakes up crying.  He seems to start even before he is actually awake.  I've been in his room and watched him as he comes round from his afternoon naps and he looks so sad.   

I've spoken to a few friends and none of their children do this - am I alone on this one?

I don't think it's because he's unhappy in his cot/bedroom, he likes being in there and goes to sleep like an angel.

Any suggestions?  I'd really like for him to wake up happy.

Donna.

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
19mth old - Why does he wake up crying?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 21:58:51 pm »
hi,

i'm going to move this over to the Toddler sleep board; you will likely get better answers there!   :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline DFreeman

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 22:06:04 pm »
I'm just looking through these boards and I realised there was one for toddlers - it was a surprise to see my message there!
Thanks for your help.
Donna.

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 00:43:49 am »
Does he wake this way in the morning or after his nap, or both?

Often if they wake crying it's because they are still tired.  However, my ds even after a 2.5 hour long nap will sometimes wake crying.  He's pretty sensitive and just takes awhile to actually wake up.
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline DFreeman

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 23:04:57 pm »
Hi Carrie,

He wakes up crying in the morning and after his naps.  If we're out and about and he falls asleep in his puschair, he wakes up crying then too!  I used to worry about it, but now I've realised it's just what he does - it only takes 30 seconds or so for him to be smiling again.  I just wondered if anyone has an insight into 'why'?

Donna.

Offline charliegirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 12:55:02 pm »
I'm afraid I have no answers but my ds, also 19 months, is pretty much the same. He will often wake crying although there seems to be no physical reason for it and he too is otherwise happy in his cot. Sometimes he wakes up happy, which is so nice to see (and I have felt that this is maybe because he has had a decent amount of sleep as it is often after a good two hour nap). Actually, he often wakes after two hours, not necessarily crying but definately needing a few minutes to come to.

He has a long-standing habit of waking up to three times a night (though not all nights and not always as often) and will often let out a shriek and cry a bit as well. Often wondered why, and not come to any conclusion. Wondered whether he was having bad dreams. It has started to change a little as he is getting to grips with talking so sometimes will wake up saying 'cuddle' or 'milk' (meaning a suckle). Nights are generally disrupted to a certain extent and have felt that that is the explanation for his waking up with a cry or temporary grump. Once he has woken he can take a little while before he is his normal happy self getting on with playing etc, but just needs a bit of a cuddle or quiet, calm time.

Hope we get some more enlightening posts!! :lol: