Author Topic: Need advice!  (Read 927 times)

Offline Beata

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 24
Need advice!
« on: November 04, 2005, 16:09:21 pm »
I am not sure whether this should be a sleep or eat issue!

I am trying to not feed dd at night - we've never done a df, but she wakes at 10, once between 12-3 then at about 5ish. I will feed at 10 and then at 5ish (hoping she goes to bed until 7ish). Somenights she wakes up every 2 hours, and when I a so tired I can't see straight I give in a feed...especially when she won't take paci or water.

We are on 4 hour EASY on good days, BUT we eat milk and solids at the same feeding (maybe with a 10 minute break in between.)
We eat at 8/12/4/8 in general. Most nights a little earlier. With solids 8/12/8. I am trying to load her up with food during the day.

Should I not feed her at 5ish?

Have any of you had success with eventually lo not calling out for you? My doc and all my friends say it's a habit, but I don't know how to break it...is consistency the key?
[/i]

Offline corrina01

• Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Need advice!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 16:17:01 pm »
When I stopped feeding my DD at about 11 weeks, when she woke up, I just put a dummy in her mouth. I feed her obviously when a growth spurt hits, but other than that I can't give you any more advice.
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
Need advice!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 22:03:47 pm »
If you truly think that Cate is getting enough calories (and it sounds like she may be) then she's definitely waking up out of habit.  You'll need to do PU/PD to get her back to sleep.  Start with the 10 PM feed.  If she ate at 8 PM, she definitely doesn't need the 10 PM feed.  It's also easier to work on that one rather than the later wakings.  Then, if you want, try doing a df at around 11 PM.  See if this makes any difference.

I know exactly how you feel about being so tired you can't even see straight.  Is there any way you can get to bed a bit earlier for a week or so?  It may help when you have to wake up to get her back to sleep.
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline Beata

• Showing Appreciation 24
Need advice!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 01:11:31 am »
Thanks for the advice Georgia. Since my last posting a few things have changed. An earlier bedtime (7 pm) and no solids in the evenings right now. I came to the conclusion that she's not used to all the solids yet - and at short of 6 months, I don't need to rush it.

So I now bf at waking (usually 7ish) then offer whatever ceral and fruit she'll eat an hour later. Bf after her first nap (anywhere from 3-4 hours), and so on. I am not strict about every 3 or 4 hours. I let her guide me, and that's working a bit better. A few weeks ago I was toruturing both of us by making her wait 4-hours due to the advice of some well-meaning friends, but I think it's not working for us. She does not seem to take any more milk when super hungry (she's eadily distracted, even in a quiet room!)

So, I am giving this new pattern about a week, so I can see where the problem is. Then I think I will tackle the night routine. I think first I'll start with a 5-hour stretch at night with no food, and work my way toward longer (my thinking is that baby can go at least an hour longer at night than during the day between feedings - so I've read). Wish me luck!