Author Topic: Suggestions for "structured" activity time for 12  (Read 1147 times)

Offline CW

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Suggestions for "structured" activity time for 12
« on: November 04, 2005, 19:50:08 pm »
Hi there,

My DS is 12mo old.  I am fortunate enough to work from home, relying on a babysitter and my mom to assist with childcare.  Now that DS is older and walking everywhere, I need some ideas with activities (he is BORED with his toys and just wants to walk everywhere). 

Because we have other people watching him, I am looking for some structure to his day, something that the babysitter can easily work with.  Right now, she just sits with him and plays with his toys (not very interactively), and he's getting more and more bored.  Ideally, I want to put a little schedule together....because frankly the babysitter isn't terribly creative!  Do any moms out there have some ideas? I'd love to learn what you all are doing during the day and adapt some thing.

Thanks!

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Suggestions for "structured" activity time for 12
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 02:28:32 am »
I'm trying to remember what we did when ds#1 was 1, but also thinking what my friends who have 1 yo do.

with my now 2yo I sort of divide the day into aloments of time... so he plays independently & then we do something together & then he "helps" me play with the 5mo etc. I based this around the sort of things they did at childcare, which was sort of structured around alotted times.
 I try to do 15mins each 1 on 1 of "educational, active & creative' with Aiden each day... not always easy with a baby

So maybe say 15mins of different activities, like singing/music, then active play - walking around activity, then skilled play with shapes.

Do you have a garden? that was great for Aiden & I know the 3x 1 yo we spend a lot of time with just love to climb/explore etc

Things I used to do & still do
were singing songs with actions / making music... saucepans spoons & bowls type stuff. shakers also 'dancing with them
story times - pointing to things & saying what they are rather than always reading a story
sitting & rolling a ball to him & trying to get him to send it back... we now do this with cars as well.
Exploring the garden
water play - droping things in & taking them out
containers with things in putting from one to the other (posting - smaller holes) - fill a box with different things & let them look at it & put it in another box -over the other side of a room so they walk... also teaches them about taking stuff from one place to another.
scribling with crayons
tunnels (big boxes or towel over chairs) to crawl/walk through
destruction (precursor to construction) you build block towers & they destroy it - get them to help re build it.
Hiding objects & letting them look for it... ie a ball under a cup or a rug
playing with pegs pulling of the side of a container. learn to put back on

hope that might help.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05