Author Topic: Refusing feeds  (Read 1286 times)

Offline becca24

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« on: November 04, 2005, 21:57:29 pm »
:cry:  :cry:

HI,

My dd is 7.5mths. She is B/F and is down to four feeds per day. Yesterday she refused the afternoon feed. She fed 'ok' before bed but I don't think she took as much as usual. This morning she has refused to feed at all. I offered her a few times but she just screams. I made up a bottle of formula but she is just playing with it :?   I eventually gave up and gave her some solids so at least she has eaten. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what can I do about it?  I thought it was too early to drop to three feeds?  :? Also, should I pump now?

annamum

Refusing feeds
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 23:56:37 pm »
Yes, you should pump so your supply doesn't go down. It is typical for 7-8 month old babies to go on a nursing strike. You said you fed her some solids so I assume she didn't protest while eating something other than milk. The reasons for nursing strikes can be different, and it is hard to pinpoint what can trigger them. Sometimes it is a new tooth a baby is cutting that is a culprit, they have very sensitive gums and it hurts them to nurse. Or she just decided to do other more interesting things. Or she bit you and you yelled (a normal thing to do, btw) and she got scared. Or she may be coming down with a cold...

Anyway, the way to go through a nursing strike is to continue offering and keep pumping to keep your supply up. It can take even a couple of days up to 2 weeks to get your baby back on a track but it is worthy. We have had quite a few moms here who survived a nursing strike so it is doable  :lol:.

A good thing to do is to nurse when they are still sleepy or asleep. You may try to do a dreamfeed while she naps if this is possible. Also, having a bath with your dd may help, when she sees and feels your breast, and it is not a threatening situation for her, she may want to nurse again.

Let us know how things are going, we are here to help  :D.

Offline becca24

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 02:55:32 am »
Thanks Monika,

I will try the bath later when DH gets home.

She refused mid morning feed again. I gave her solids for lunch and she gobbled down quite a lot of it. Do I just keep giving her the solids and offering the b/f? Or should I get DH to give her a bottle?

I have expressed some milk and it looks really 'thin'. I haven't had to express for ages so not sure what it should look like??

Sorry for all the questions and thank you for your help

annamum

Refusing feeds
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 18:26:38 pm »
Are you first offering breast and then solids? How much solids does she get per feed and how many times a day? Sometimes we go overboard with solids too early and babies like them so much that they don't have apetite for milk. Even a jar of baby food can sometimes fill up your baby too much. I know it sounds difficult for you to watch your child go without food, but what would happen if you reduced solids just a little bit and see if she wants to nurse better? Just an idea.

Offline becca24

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 20:19:34 pm »
Hi Monika,

Well the nursing strike seems to be over already  :D It lasted about 23 hours which seemed a loooonnnnggg time for me because I was so worried about it. After her big lunch of solids I offered no more food only breast. At about 5.30 I tried again, and after a lot of screaming and pulling away I squirted a bit into her mouth and then she latched on !!! So I am thinking it may have been the taste she was worried about. She has never been affected by anything I have eaten in the past so I can't think why. Anyway, I'm just glad it's over.

I always offer breast first then solids not long after. To be honest I don't really know 'how much' solids she eats - I just give her a taste of things after her first three breast feeds as I want to have more breast milk at this age KWIM? I make my own veges and fruit and sometimes give her a jar if we are not at home. Solids is really the only thing I haven't obsessed over being a first time mum :lol:

Thank you so much for you help and advice!

annamum

Refusing feeds
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 22:14:23 pm »
Hi Bec,

Glad it is over. And you are doing fabulous job by offering her just a taste. I also used to prepare my own veggies and foods for my dd, I think they taste better, are healthier and cheaper too.

Anyway, great to hear that she went back to nursing. Good job!