Author Topic: BF and teething  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Liam and Shane's Mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
BF and teething
« on: November 04, 2005, 22:19:08 pm »
Has anyone found that bfing has bothered their teething babies?  My 6 mos. ds seems to be teething and often cries when he feeds now or just wants to pull off.  He's still fussy when he pulls off though as if he's still hungry.  I couldn't remember if feeding made them feel better or worse?

Liam 2001/12/22

Shane
2005/05/12

annamum

BF and teething
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 00:02:19 am »
I have heard so many times that babies who are teething refuse to nurse. On another hand, my dd was always more interested in nursing when she was cutting a new tooth. It really depends on a baby. But I agree, many of them won't nurse because their gums are swallen and supersensitive and they don't feel comfortable while nursing.

You can offer some chilled rubber teethers in meantime and keep offering breast, but don't force a baby to nurse, he may get aversion to your breast. If you are worried about his milk intake, try to nurse when he is sleeping, they are way more relaxed then and willing to accept feeding.

Offline Rohan's mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 22:01:48 pm »
I was told that b/f during teething provides some sort of painkiller so that they seem to suffer less pain although they may want to nurse/suckle more for a while.
I certainly have noticed that with my DS who is 22 weeks old and currently cutting his top 2 (bottom 2 already in!).
Hope that helps
Nicky
Mother to
Rohan David b. 3rd June 2005 definately a Spirited/Touchy type!

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
BF and teething
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 04:23:49 am »
my lo is teething and is being extra difficult when bfing, and won't take a bottle or paci at all, she just chews on the nipples...which she occasionally does to me as well!  :?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005