Author Topic: Lots of waking in the early nighttime???  (Read 1214 times)

Offline gwc1023

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Lots of waking in the early nighttime???
« on: November 05, 2005, 03:25:30 am »
Abby is almost 4 months old and is doing pretty well as far as sleep is concerned - lately she's been up only once at night, and although we are still struggling with 45 minute naps, at least one nap a day is a good long one.  I think we're doing great, certainly better than the accidental parenting we were doing with ds at this age!

The one thing she does that I find strange is that after I put her down for the night (aroudn 7:30 or so), she is starting to almost always wake at least a few times between then and df at around 10:30.  For instance, last night she woke just before 8, I was busy putting ds to bed and by the time I was done she was back asleep.  She woke around 8:30 and I went in to try to calm her, took a while but I was able to put her back down.  She woke again around 9ish and I just couldn't get her calmed down and eventually nursed her to get her to go back to bed (still did regular df later on).

She wakes up crying quite hard and gets more and more upset and isn't easily calmed.  I don't think it's gas or something like that as it's happened too often.  After the df she does great and never wakes up like that - has been going up to 7 hours the last week or so.

Here's a typical day for us, so you can see our whole schedule:

E - wake at 8 and nurse
A -
S - around 9:30
E - wake around 11:30 (if the a.m. nap is the good one) and nurse
A
S - 1:00
A - 2:00 (this is often a shorter nap if the first one was long, so we play a bit before eating)
E - 2:30
S - 3:30
E - 5:00
A -
E - 7:00
S - to bed around 7:30 usually

She goes to sleep on her own in her bed always, no pacifier.  I vaguely remember my son doing this early nighttime waking thing - even up until he was 2 or so at least some of the time.  Any ideas?
Dawn mommy to Gavin (5/2/02), Abby (7/8/05), and Rachel (5/28/07)

Offline keaton&parker's mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 03:31:49 am »
My little guy is still doing that at 8 months.  My oldest did that too.  It seems worse on days when we have had a lot of activity, outings, visitors, etc. or on days where he has not had 2 good naps (he does the same thing as your D, usually sleeps one long nap and then one short one.  If he does that, I have been taking him for a walk just before dinner and he has a short snooze.  This seems to keep him more settled, as I think it is just too long for him to go from his afternoon sleep to bedtime.  Maybe this is why he wakes a lot too at the beginning of his sleep, as I always feel if he has a short nap in the pm, that he is overtired by the time he gets to bed.  I'm not sure if this helps at all, I'm tired and feel like I'm rambling on a bit.  Take care.

Offline sara_derek

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
    • family homepage
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 05:07:52 am »
Hi there Dawn,

Our LO's are pretty much the same age :)  The only thing I can think of might be that she's over tired by the time you get her into bed.  She has been up for 2.5 hours at that point and that is a LONG time for a 4 month old, especially at the end of the day.  Christian typically takes a catnap from about 6-7:00, then I wake him, feed him and put him back down at 7:30.  If you aren't comfortable with that, or she just won 't go down, you may try an earlier bedtime, so she doesn't have such a long stretch from afternoon nap to bed time.

Hope this helps!
Canyon 12/27/02
Christian 7/4/05

Angel#1 12/23/01
Angel #2 5/23/06
Angel #3 11/27/06

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 01:28:12 am »
From my experience I agree with Sara, an overtired baby will wake up within the first hour or so after bedtime.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05