Author Topic: 11 month takes 1 hour to go to sleep  (Read 992 times)

Offline Felicity

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 05, 2005, 04:49:19 am »
I need some help.  I have been using Tracey's method since my son was 7 months old.  He is now 11 months and sometimes takes an hour to go to sleep.  Sometimes he plays, laughs, cries.  You name it.  He fights sleep right until the end.  If I leave the room, he cries.  If I stay and keep putting him down when he gets up I could be there for an hour.  He wasn't always like this though.  He used to take only 10-15 minutes to fall asleep.  He has an excellent routine and wind down with quiet time, books and cuddles.  I would class him as a spirited child.  What could I be doing wrong???
Felicity

Offline Samismum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
11 month takes 1 hour to go to sleep
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 11:21:55 am »
Hello.
my ds is now 14mths (very spirited also:lol: :lol:  )...

he started to do take about an hr to fall asleep around the 11mth mark aswell...he used to really fight his pm nap....so i changed him to 1 nap at 11mths...this worked for him straight away..he would fall asleep within 5-10 mins

Alot of people say 11mths is too early for 1 nap but he worked for ds straight away...we did have a few rough mornings for about 10days with me trying to keep him busy and making sure that i didnt run any errands about 1hr before nap time*as he would fall asleep in car/buggy) but after that he is fine...

hope that helps  :)

Offline Maddy's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
    • The Family Website
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 15:29:41 pm »
Hi,

I agree with Samismum that it sounds like your DS routine could need to be adjusted so that he has more awake time. I found 11 months to be a tricky time with mads naps because she was acting like she needed to go down to one nap, but in reality she just wasn't able to stay awake that long, so we ended up having one nap later in the morning and a catnap in the afternoon of about 20 min - 30 mins that would see her through until bedtime.

HTH!
Dee
x

Offline Felicity

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 20:24:05 pm »
Thanks for that.  You are probably right about the possibility of him needing to change to one nap.  I feel better to know others have had this problem too.  Thanks for your advice.

Felicity

Offline india's mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 03:31:13 am »
i had the same problem with our dd, but it happened around the 8 month mark... she's only been having one nap since then (she's almost 10 months now).  From what i've read, 8 months is pretty young to go to one nap, but she's always seemed to have longer awake times than most babies.  I was really apprehensive about going from 2 to 1 at that age, but with the hour-long bedtime fight, i was ready to try anything!!  Making the change helped a lot, she goes to sleep most nights (& naps) in about 10 minutes.  :D