Author Topic: going on a trip  (Read 1166 times)

Offline 1sttime

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: November 05, 2005, 22:29:10 pm »
Hi I have a 3 week old who is doing fairly well on EASY. We are going out of town next weekend and I am so afraid we will be back to square one with naps and everything. Any advice on that? Also I've been afraid to take him places, he falls asleep in the car and I'm just afraid I'll mess up his routine by taking him out. Should I be worried about this?
jamie

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
going on a trip
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 23:56:03 pm »
at 3 weeks i woudl not worry at all about that - this is the most portable stage IMO.  just keep an eye on when he is tired and hungry and ensure he has some A time each cycle.  at 3 weeks most of their day is eating and sleeping - a weekend away won't make any difference as your main goals are to ensure he knows day from night (by limiting each of his naps to 2-2 1/2 hrs if possible in order to wake for a feed and brief A time), goes to sleep from awake (rather than nurse/feed to sleep) and you observe him to learn his cues, temperment and such.

enjoy this time with him.

as far as falling asleep in the car - it is normal at any age if they are tired and just sitting in a moving vehicle (car,pram, anything in motion).  as long as you don't use a car to put a child to sleep for all naps it is not a worry.  if you can time things so that he is not in the car immediately after the feed (allow for some A time - at this age VERY short) and then don't worry if he sleeps in the car. when he is older and more aware then you will want to work on ensuring most of his naps are in his bed.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified