Author Topic: Changing from breast to bottle  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Mandi-Jane

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Changing from breast to bottle
« on: November 05, 2005, 23:37:33 pm »
I need help. Im trying to change my daughter from breast feeding to bottle feeding but not having any luck. She used to have breast milk from a bottle, but now won't take anything from a bottle and will scream if I put a bottle near her mouth. I've tried everything. She's 5 months old and I think she's teething. Can anyone help me.
Milly Molly Mandi

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 02:54:50 am »
Here is a link from the breastfeeding forum.  Hope you can find some helpful info in there.  Welcome to the site.

http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/share-your-tips-for-getting-b-fed-babies-to-take-a-bottle-vt9215.html
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline Mandi-Jane

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 00:20:15 am »
Hi again, still not having any luck getting her onto a bottle. HELP!!!
We've tried everything. Different bottles, different teats, heating the teat, different milks, me in the room, me out of the house. My health visitor even suggested going 24 hrs only offering bottles, not giving any breast. I had her in the evening, then I went out for the day and my partner had her through the day. She ended up going 25 and a half hours with the milk that we squirted into her mouth, and nothing else. Now she is feeding every two hours crying in between feeds and generally not settling. I myself am not eating properly so she isn't getting the nutrients she needs. Any other ideas would be very much appreciated.
Milly Molly Mandi

Offline jordon&dylansmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
  • Toronto, Canada
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 14:05:22 pm »
We had some similar issues when we switched our lo to formula, he had previously taken breastmilk from the bottle but didn't like the formula at all.  These are the two things we did that I think helped. 

First off, we introduced the bottle during his dreamfeed, he didn't fuss as much with it.  We also added a couple ounces of breastmilk into the bottle to give him the taste he was familiar with.  We did make his milk a little bit warmer than tepid, and we warmed the teats as well both were suggested by someone else on the site.

Once we got him taking the dreamfeed, we reduced the amount of breastmilk in the bottle, then started introducing formula at more and more feeds, now he takes the bottle like a champion. 5ozs. every 4 hours.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Mandi-Jane

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 01:34:45 am »
Hello again, we have given up on getting her onto a bottle now. we aren't getting any help from health visitor anymore, he has passed us one to someone else who we haven't heard anything from. We have decided to just wean her onto baby foods for now, and maybe try the bottle again later. She likes baby foods and it seems to be a success at the moment, although she still feeds from me as much as she did before, she has just dropped the night feeds. So I definately don't think she was getting enough from me.
Thank you for your advice.
 :D
Milly Molly Mandi