Author Topic: Pumping nightmare - please help  (Read 3143 times)

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
Pumping nightmare - please help
« on: November 06, 2005, 22:24:45 pm »
I am having real problems expressing any milk. I expressed all the time with Ruby and had no problems at all, i always let-down and could pump oz and oz with a bit of practise. This time i am having a problem - i cannot let-down. I now have three pumps, the Avent ISIS which i used to death with Ruby, a hospital grade, double electric pump, and today i have just purchased another brand hand pump (seeing as the ISIS is on deaths door!)

I am going on a course over the coming weekend, i will be able to nurse first thing in the am, and at bedtime and DF, but will miss the 3 or 4 feeds in between. I have been pumping to a) get into practise and b) collect some milk for dh to give him. In the morning i am full on both sides and i jusy pick which ever one for him to have - as i am so full he only takes one breast, but when i pump i cannot get hardly anything from the other one, obviously there is milk there, but it won't come out. I have been pumping after each feed, not getting a lot, but hoping just to increase supply. I have also tried pumping when a feed is due, hoping to be able to pump a full feed like i will have to while i am away from home, but again i get next to nothing even though i am ready to fed and so obviously have enough milk. I just cannot seem to let-down while pumping. I have tried relaxing and visualising him feeding with no effect, I am compressing the breasts, massaging, hand expressing to start with etc etc, all with minimal effect.

Does anyone have any advice for me, i am so so so worried about this. I really want to do this course (it is my doula training) but it is not worth losing my supply for.
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline seaflower

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 22:55:59 pm »
I know some women pump once side while they are feeding on the other. Never tried it myself but may be worth to see if your let down will be better.

How long have you been pumping for? I used to get very little milk the first week when I was trying.
My little princess is 2.5 :) Textbook/Angel/Spirited toddler
My little munchkin is few weeks old and doesn't understnd EASY!

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 01:45:29 am »
So you've tried all three pumps, all without luck? I'm going to think on this and get back to you.

(Cause I was thinking, I have problems with my Isis when I put it together wrong. But the electric, no luck?)
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 22:31:30 pm »
Nope, still no luck :cry:  :cry:  I now have a fourth pump - borrowed in desperation, another electric pump, this time a portable one. I just do not know what i am going to do. I have been scouring the internet, books everything and i am doing it right, it just won't come out. I am due to feed Red in a few minutes - i just tried to express and i got 10ml!!!! Thats 1/3 of an oz in 10 minutes. i'm now going to go and feed my 15lb+ baby from the same breast and hope he can get the milk out - i sure as h$ll can't :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel

Offline seaflower

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 22:36:50 pm »
Have you tried to pump in the room where Red is, it may stimulate your let down? How long have you been trying to pump for? It took me two weeks to get some decent amount (the first three attempts I got literally few drops after 20 mins of pumping)
My little princess is 2.5 :) Textbook/Angel/Spirited toddler
My little munchkin is few weeks old and doesn't understnd EASY!

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 22:37:25 pm »
Clair, you haven't mentioned it - but have you tried pumping with Red next to you?  When I was pumping for the triplets, it helped me to have pictures of them.  It may help you to have the real thing!
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

annamum

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 22:44:28 pm »
I was just thinking that with Ruby you could have had an overabundant (sp?) supply, it is not so normal to be able to pump that much as you did with her. According to books, they say it is normal to pump very very little at the beginning, or almost nothing, especially if you are nursing your baby, he gets everything. It can be different if you are not nursing him, being away from him, then you would be able to pump much more, but of course, you never know... :cry:. That sounds like your milk supply has levelled off and you don't have too muchextra, just enough for his needs.

Offline Melissa (Sydney's Mommy)

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 23:38:56 pm »
OK, so the pumps are hooked up correctly and you know what you're doing, as you've done this before....  Hmmmmm....  Honey, I just don't think you're relaxing enough.  Maybe I'm just reading that into your post, as you sound a bit frantic, but I know that I have to be completely relaxed to pump.  You  most definitely cannot worry about how much milk is being produced!  Or about how you're going to be able to go this conference without enough bm.  Don't even look how much is coming out.  Just concentrate on relaxing.  Here are some other things that have helped me:

visualize running water... like a waterfall

pictures of ds

thinking of those super sweet baby moments--baby asleep in your arms smelling like Johnson's baby lotion

pump for at least 15-20 minutes, even if you are not getting anything!  It's hard, I know.  But there were times I would almost give up and then, suddenly milk would appear--or I would get a second let down.  If you only try for a short while, get nothing and stop, then I don't think that will ork to increase your supply.

HTH.  Good luck and let us know how it goes!
--Melissa

Sydney, born September 2002

Trenton, born November 2004

Samuel, born November 2007

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 23:51:00 pm »
Melissa - i think you are right, i am not relaxed at all at the moment. Most of the time when i pump Red is right there with me. I have been pumping to store milk, but mainly to get used to pumping again as i will be away for three days. I have been pumping when a feed is due, and been prepared to give it via bottle if i get a result, just to see what i can do. What happens if i am there and can't get anything? Is that likely? Is it just not happening at home because i know i can feed him??

Well the last pump, the portable electric one (Medela mini electric) is the worst yet, best so far is the Ameda hospital grade double pump, then the ISIS. Actually the Tommee Tippee handpump i bought yesterday is crap too!!!

Will let you know how i go tomorrow x x

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 00:30:58 am »
Clair

I definitely find it harder to pump milk this time around, with Aiden I could get 70-100mls after a feed, with Liam it is more like 30mls & harder to get a let down too.

The one thing that worked for me when I was having problems was to finger express until I got milk flowing & then got to the pump, maybe give that a try & I agree with Wendy if you haven't already done it do it with Red on your lap or next to you

& try a warm towel over your breast before pumping
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Chantel03

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 00:43:37 am »
Try putting a warm rag on your breast.  Do you know how to comprese your breast to get let down.  That sometimes helps.  Also to pump the one side while he is feeding should help also.  I fed Tanner, and them pumped both sides for 10min after.  I did this tell my supply was up, and cus Tanner was premature, and I had to supplement with a bottle.  They also say that dark beer helps with milk supply.  Also make sure you don't have any cloged milk ducts.
Tanner- My active, fun loving 4yr old.
Kaitlyn- My new baby girl.

Offline jbepko

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 15:55:22 pm »
Maybe try pumping 45 min after a feed...that's what I did in creating my stock before returning to work.
Jeni

Offline hbcwhit

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 18:32:28 pm »
My problem is that my son won't nurse so I'm trying to express.  I know exactly how you feel!  :?  I just pumped for over 10 minutes and finally had a letdown giving me a big 2 ozs.  I usually only get a few drops!  I used a warm face cloth.  I think relaxing has a lot to do with it.....I think I need a valium or something. I am worried that my supply is decreasing.  And it's stressful that he won't eat and I'm trying to express what seems like all the time!   I just bought the Medela Harmony..."9/10 women prefer".  It sucks....well doesn't suck!  I'm also using one from First Years.  It must just be me cause the First Years used to work.  I think I'm gonna hop in a warm bath and pump........it's worth a shot.   I've been doing what you've been doing with little success.....hopefully someone will have a magic cure!  Good Luck

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 20:51:26 pm »
Hey all, well much better news today :D   :D . I had a chat with the lady who is running my Doula course, she is also an LC with the Association of BF'ing Mothers. She said that this is often the case with subsequent babies, that your body is able to be more efficient and regulate how much it need to make to fulfill baby's needs and no more or less. She said that she wouldn't be too worried about it, and that even if i only managed to express a tiny amount while on the course she doubted it would affect things too badly. It seemed like this was just what i needed to hear. Seeing as i have been pumping such a lot i think i have increased my supply and so i got quite full at one stage. I pumped with the ISIS (that dh has superglued together!!) and got 3.5 oz in 10 mins YAY!!!!! I could have gotten more but wanted to leave some for Red!!! So at least now i know that when i get full when i am away that the milk will flow! Thank Goodness :D

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel

Offline evanskimberley

• Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 22:15:32 pm »
Not sure if it'll be something you've already tried, but how about hiring one from the NCT.
They have special breast pump agents who hire out electric pumping machinesand teach you how to use them.
May end up being the ones you've tried. have you got local NCT numbers? Let me know if you haven;t and you're interested i can make some calls for you.
Hope you course goes well.
Kxx
Kimberley