Author Topic: Pumping nightmare - please help  (Read 3145 times)

Offline CanadianMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Pumping nightmare - please help
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2005, 23:19:38 pm »
I found that the Avent Isis was the only pump that I was ever able to get anything out of ever.  Even the hospital ones never worked, and I had tons of milk.  I wouldn't worry too much about your supply, esp if you will be feeding over the w/e, it may just take a day after to get caught back up again.  It is amazing how long your body will produce milk for.  I still had milk 6 mos after I weaned dd.
L

Offline Melissa (Sydney's Mommy)

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2005, 23:29:38 pm »
Yeh, Clair!  That's great!   :D  :D  :D
--Melissa

Sydney, born September 2002

Trenton, born November 2004

Samuel, born November 2007

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2005, 02:22:00 am »
I agree, I love my Isis. Awesome results!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline kzener

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2005, 03:21:23 am »
I've found that pumping while I feed is the only thing that helped me.  I too am using the Isis while feeding him.  I found that there was an art to using the Isis and had to be really patient with getting the suction to work.  Eventually I went from getting little out to pumping an avg. of 3 ounces out of 1 side.  However I got almost 6 ounces if I pumped during the middle of the night feed.  Now that he has dropped that feeding I still pump almost 5 ounces from one side at the early morning feeding.  I highly suggest trying this out for the first feed of the morning when you are most full.  As a side note.. I also use the Ameda Pump In Style while at work.

Offline kriswrite

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2005, 18:46:22 pm »
Adding to the advice already given:

* Wear a piece of the baby's clothing near your face, so you can smell it
* Massage your breasts before pumping.  I like to go in a circular motion, almost like I'm doing a monthly lump exam. Go from the outside of the breast, in.
* Relaxing is a biggie. Take 10 or 15 minutes ahead of time to relax, if at all possible.
* Get more rest. This goes hand in hand with relaxing!
* Pump more often. Every 2 hours until you get a better milk supply. Pump 20 minutes, even if you have no or little milk flow.

I had an extreme preemie, and while she is now 38 weeks, she still isn't breastfeeding...so I've really had to learn to make milk to the machine!

I hope this helps!
Kristina
http://www.kristinaseleshanko.com/baby.htm

Offline maricar

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2005, 19:28:57 pm »
i, too, have been having pumping issues.  ds didn't know how to latch for the first 6 weeks so i was pumping then.  i would put a warm compress or cloth on my breasts, then massage them just like kriswrite described.  back then, i would even have a letdown before i could start pumping.

not the case anymore, but i may have discovered a new "trick".  it may sound silly but it could be worth a try.  last night i was watching tv when i decided i should pump.  kept watching tv so my mind wasn't on the pumping at all except for the fact that my hand was working the pump.... and i achieved a letdown!  tried it again this morning & it worked again.  just thought i'd mention it for those who are looking for any ideas... as silly as it may sound  :lol: