Author Topic: She can't breathe, so she can't sleep - neither can I! :(  (Read 1493 times)

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
She can't breathe, so she can't sleep - neither can I! :(
« on: November 07, 2005, 01:10:41 am »
Natalie's cold has progressed from a tickly cough to a full-blown runny nose. The nurse practitioner at Urgent Care (the HMO sent me since her fever was 102 for 3 days now) checked her ears and said they aren't infected, but probably congested, and she refuses to nurse on my right side. (Thank God for the friend who gave me her Pump In Style! :?) Her teeth are coming in somewhere too, and no amount of ibuprofen or even the Hyland's teething tablets seem to be helping the teething discomfort or the fever. Sometimes she seems to want stuff to chew on, and other times sge just cries and cries - and her nose gets more congested, :(

Now that her nose is full-blown runny, she absolutely can't get comfortable enough to sleep. On the rare occasions when I can nurse her to sleep and get her to sleep on an incline on my lap, it lasts 45 minutes tops - all night long, 45 minutes down, an hour-plus up. Last night I had 2 hours of sleep and I'm shattered, and tonight is shaping up to be worse. :cry: *sob*

There's a steam vaporizer running in her room - doesn't seem to make a difference. I've done saline nose spray and aspiration - makes her upset enough that she cries enough tears to undo all that. :roll: Inclining her mattress we run the risk of her sleeping downhill since she rolls around so much. She refuses to sleep in the car seat or her bouncy chair; it took a good hour for her to fall asleep in the car on the way down from my folks' this morning, and gas is too pricey for those kinds of jaunts all night. :?

We are at a loss as to how to help her get some rest and some comfort. I finally gave her a micro-dose of Simply Stuffy (J's cold med, decongestant only) to help dry up a little and maybe stave off an ear infection, but she's still up crying from tiredness. PLEASE, what are we missing????

Offline Jennİ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 01:23:03 am »
Have you tried the baby vicks rub?  Or the vapor bath?  That's all I can suggest at the moment.  Also sending hugs and sleepy thoughts .  I have a feeling my lo is working on teething as well.   Right before her 4 month shots.  :(   Feel better!!
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline albertasweetpea

• Showing Appreciation 19
  • Our Dolly Molly - October 2007
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 02:11:07 am »
Gosh Deb it sounds just awful!!
I'm sorry I dont' have any suggestions for you at all...wish I could help out!
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
~Michelle (Spruce Grove, AB, Canada)

[img=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png[/img]
[url=http://www.baby-gaga.com/][img=http://tickers.baby-gag

Offline evanskimberley

• Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 08:30:49 am »
I've had great sucess with an air purifier from

http://www.intrade2010.com

It cleans the air, puts moisture back in the air and you can also put oils in the water so the room fills with the smell of eucalyptus, clearing their nose.

Zeena has shipped one over to canada and Ryan's mum has bought one on the interent as well. I don't know how they work as well as they do, I just know they work!!! And they only cost £30!!!!

I promise i don't work for these people (althoug zeena said i should ask for some comission as i've got them so much extra business!!!) I just think they really work!!

Kxx
Kimberley

Offline webfoot

• Showing Appreciation 7
    • Bug n' Belle
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 08:53:01 am »
All I can say is YEP! Right there with you. We've had, I can't breathe I can't nurse for two nights, I can't poop b/c I"m eating solids for one night, and I have the croup for 2 days now.  :shock:

He is currently asleep slung over my shoulder, should I attempt to put him down he will awaken and bark/ cry I'm sure. I froze my butt off outside last night trying to let the cool night air help the croup (it did) but the minute we came in b/c mommy as too cold Bark bark bark... And daddy is dr... when it's like this they just have to weather it through there isn't a lot to do KWIM?. Luckily this am dh took the older two so I could go sleep. E seems happy if he's attached to my boob, for LONG periods  :shock: . AND has seemingly rejected his paci this week. We're gonna have some work when this is over I"m sure!

((((hugs)))) I feel your pain! Hang in there!
Tanya

Kyle 12/27/01
Amy 3/28/03
Evan 4/12/05
Addy 4/29/10

Visit me on etsy!

Offline hollyandchloesmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 09:05:28 am »
Just wanted to say hello Deb and hugs, isn't there first winter great - I don't think.

Hope you get some rest tonight!
jane
dd1 - chloe 24.4.2
dd2 - holly 18.3.5

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 09:51:40 am »
Well, the decongestant seems to be doing the trick. It's a tiny dose, just 1/4 tsp, but she even nursed from my right side once tonight (ahh, blessed relief! :)) and has gotten a couple 2- and 3-hour stretches of sleep even. Probably going to keep up that stuff tomorrow. I wasn't comfortable giving it to her and my ped said she's too young, but she IS 17 pounds so she's not tiny by any means, and I know she NEEDS the rest. DH and I are both fighting this thing ourselves. Actually, it looks like Josie is the only one fit to be out in public tomorrow! LOL

Thanks for the good vibes. I wish she WOULD sleep on me or DH; it would make life easier in terms of me getting enough rest not to get that sick myself, but there it is. She will take her pacifier once in a while, but since it interferes with her breathing through her mouth maybe we won't have to worry about weaning again when this is all over. (Oh, look, a silver lining!)