Author Topic: DS just not a morning person?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
DS just not a morning person?
« on: November 07, 2005, 15:31:45 pm »
My ds seems to get tired pretty quickly in the morning.  He's grunting and griping before the 2-hour awake mark.  He usually stays awake longer in the afternoons, though, many times for 3 to 3.5 hour stretchs (I'll put him in his crib at around the 2 or 2.5-hour mark and he's rolling around and playing, sometimes for an hour more).  A catnap in the late afternoon is random now, maybe every 3 days or so.  I just go by his cues.

I'm assuming he's just not a morning person, like mommy and daddy.  :wink:   Has anyone else experienced this?
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline Debi - James' Mama

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 23:33:26 pm »
Hi

My DS is nearly 7 months old and is not a morning person either (like his mommy!)

He stays awake for maybe 1.5 hours and then gets really grumpy!  I usualy take him into his room and change him and he seems to perk up a little so we'll have some calm playtime on his changing mat.  This seems to get almost to the 2 hour mark and then he naps for 1.5-2hrs.

He's better in the afternoon and will also go about 3-3.5 hours and then he has an hour catnap later before his bath.

I think he gets the grumpy morning thing from me but the above is working pretty well at the mo - hope this helps!
Mummy to James David (13/04/2005)
Mummy to Oliver Mark (31/05/2010)

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 23:56:15 pm »
i think it is fairly common to have a shorter morning A time.  for a lot of babies/little ones the only reason they really get up in the morning is to refuel and have a llittle up time and then back to bed.  as long as you learn what works for your child then go with that.  Usually the A time extends as the day goes on and the longest burst at this age is the time before bed (can be 3 - 4 1/2 hrs depending on the last nap)
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 02:47:16 am »
I always thought that babies got more tired as the day progressed (Tracy mentions this in her book), which is what still happens but it's mostly because of the long time spans between naps.  Just threw me off and I wondered how many others experienced this.

:-)
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 21:27:05 pm »
This sounds familiar! For Mum & ds  :P

Lo can only go just over 1 hour between waking up and his 1st nap, and that includes breakfast. He just gets really tired. In the afternoon, he can go for 3 hours or more.

You sound like you're doing a great job, you know your lo better than anyone, so don't worry about what he "should" be doing - if you think he's tired, then you're probably right!
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston