Author Topic: Starting Solids and Keeping 4 Hour EASY  (Read 2708 times)

Offline dallinsmommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Starting Solids and Keeping 4 Hour EASY
« on: November 07, 2005, 19:38:33 pm »
My son is 5 1/2 months and 20 pounds; I'm afraid breastmilk alone isn't cutting it anymore. He's started waking more at night and is wanting to nurse more and more frequently during the day. I'm fine with nursing him whenever he wants; but, I'm afraid he's growing up and needs more in his diet. I'm excited that he has been exclusively breastfed up to this point. I'd like to keep nursing as much as possible.

Well, here's my questions. We have the Baby Whisperer book which has helped immensly with schedule/sleep and I'd like to follow Tracey's advice with solids as well. We're starting with pears vs. other solids (we tried rice a couple times and it was AWFUL!) So, we're doing the pears. Tracey suggested feeding twice a day, 'breakfast' and 'dinner' and doing the solids before brestfeeding. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to do the breastmilk before the solid so he gets as much breastmilk as possible? However, if I offer the solids right after a full feeding he's not hungry-so, would feeding the solid an hour or so later be okay or would that lead to snacking? I'm a first time mom, so I'm really just not sure on what's best. I want to nurse as much as possible and also do what's best for my little guy.

Any advice would be great on when to offer the solids and what worked with you and keeping a schedule somewhat.

Our schedule now is:

7:00 nursing
8:00 nursing-he's always hungry here
9:00 nap
11:00 nursing
12:00 solids
12:45 nap
2:30 nursing
3:30 ish solids
5:00 cat nap
7:00 nursing and bed

(Wakes for a good feed around 2:00 a.m. each night)

Also, I started the solids twice a day like it mentioned in the book; however, I know my pedi said to start with one meal a day? Does it matter either way? To be honest, I trust Tracey more than the pedi. :) But, any advice on that would be great too.

Thanks so so so much for all of your help. Thank you.

Offline kristidawn

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 10:57:02 am »
I'm starting to wonder the same thing too. How can we keep 4 hour E.A.S.Y. and introduce solids. My daughter will gobble up rice cereal before the bottle but then won't finish her bottle so I've switched the order and now she doesn't eat as much cereal. She's also 5 1/2 months old and around 20 pounds. She is also waking at 2am. I'm starting to get really confused so I hope that someone helpful answers your question. I just wanted to let you know that someone else is in your exact position. Good luck.

Offline Tammy: Ethan & Kaden's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 14:05:20 pm »
Actually, when starting solids, Tracy recommends doing breast or bottle first, before solids.  Because their main source of nutrition is still breast or bottle. 

Most people I know have to nurse / give bottle, then wait 30 min or an hour later to do the solids.  That's so the little one's have some room in their tummy!

My ped did not suggest starting with one or two or whatever meals a day, just to start introducing it as I saw necessary, and let him have however much he wants.

Our schedule when we started solids went something like this:

7 am - bottle
8 am - cereal or fruit
9 am - nap
11 am - bottle
1 pm - nap
3 pm - bottle
5 pm - catnap
6 pm - cereal or veggie
7 pm - bottle
10 pm - df bottle

I switched up the solids first before bottle at dinner, simply because I wanted him to have the bottle last to last longer thru the night!

We are now at 3 meals a day, and our routine looks like:

7 am - cereal with fruit
8 am - bottle
9:30 am - nap
11 am - veggie or fruit
12 pm - bottle
1:30 / 2:00 pm - nap
4 pm - bottle
6 pm - veggie and fruit
7 pm - bottle
7:30 pm - bed

I have dropped the df, and switched the meals to before bottle.

I hope some of that might help, and hopefully someone else will post and give you their info as well.

Good luck!

Offline CharlotteS

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Love my little FL man!
Starting Solids and Keeping 4 Hour EASY
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 03:37:35 am »
My son was also 5 months when I had to start giving him some solids.  At first, DS had a routine that was exactly like the one Tammy's child was on at the beginning.  Then, DS got frustrated with either wanting solids when I offered formula, or offering solids when he wanted formula. (He's half spirited!  :roll: ) So, I felt that it would be better to switch to feeding both at the same feeding.  Here's what he's been doing for a couple of weeks now:

7:00 Cereal w/ fruit and bottle
9:00  nap
11:00 fruit or veggie (or combo) and bottle
12:45/1:00 nap
3:00 fruit or veggie (or combo) and bottle
4:30/5:00 cat nap
6:30 cereal w/ fruit or veggie and bottle
7:00/7:30 bedtime
11:00 df

Of course, since I feed him both liquid and solids at the same time, I have to be careful of the amounts of food I offer so he doesn't overfeed and spit up.  Presently, he's only taking about 8 oz of food at a time. (Six of those ounces being formula since babies this age need the nutrition of breastmilk/formula.)  I give him the solids first and then the bottle.  I've noticed that just those extra couple of oz of solids during the day really help out at night!  He's finally sleeping at night without waking to eat!

You know, when I first started feeding DS solids I was really frustrated that there wasn't a true established routine in feeding solids in the BW like there is for almost everything else.  I wanted to make sure I was doing it "right."  But, as much as I tried to listen to what other people were telling me to do, DS knew what he needed, and I finally listened to him. I was nervous to dive right in there and change things, but it worked!  No doubt that your LO will give you clues too!

Hugs,
Charlotte
Charlotte
Mama to spirited angel Josiah
May 8, 2005