Author Topic: Ideas for 6 week old  (Read 981 times)

Offline andibon

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 08, 2005, 01:08:06 am »
My son Jackson (first child) is 6 weeks old today, and I'm starting to get tired.   :)

What can I really expect from him at night at this age?  So far, we still don't have a routine, or a bed time, but I'm hoping that comes soon.  Except for one 6 hour stretch last week, the most he'll do is 4.5 hours between feedings.  Since a feeding will take 30 minutes, and it may take another 10-30 minutes to soothe him to sleep, that really isn't giving me much night time sleep.

Is this normal for his age?  If it is, when can I expect longer stretches?  Also, do you normally do the last feeding of the day at bed time and then straight to sleep?  Jackson normally eats, and then has active time during the day (usually only an hour), and then takes a nap, but I'm not sure if I should let him have that active hour right before bed.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Andrea

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Ideas for 6 week old
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 01:47:13 am »
The first few months are very hard & unfortunately your lo is very much within the normal for a 6week old... my ds#1 would feed every 3 hours (taking an hour to feed) until he was 10 weeks old... it was so hard, but it did get better, he got to be a faster feeder & his sleep time lengthend.
I have never really done activity time after the last feed as I have given my boys a bath before that feed.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline andibon

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 02:26:42 am »
Thanks Kate!  I just wanted to be sure he's within the normal range.  I'm learning to get by on much less sleep than before he was born, that's for sure.  Normally I really have to soothe him a lot to get him to sleep in his crib - he's a great sleeper in anything that moves.  Tonight I sushed him for 2 minutes and that was it!  I couldn't believe it.

Maybe he knows I really need my sleep.  I'm off to bed until the next feeding. 
Thanks again.
Andrea