Author Topic: 6 week  (Read 6930 times)

Offline cymonguk

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2005, 08:34:59 am »
I guess it was actually a question I have never heard of controlled crying is that the Ferber thing?

Anyway things are gradually changing for other reasons it seems, Phoebe now still occasionally suckles to sleep mainly at night, and is still sleeping with us, but during the day my wife has stopped feeding to sleep for a variety of reasons.

Mainly Phoebe seems to get cross and tired and will start pulling and biting on Karens booby (OUCH!!), she also fidgets and moans, and scratches (if no mitts on).

Karen has found the way to stop this is not to feed her too long, but was fine when I was at home as I could pick her up and she would drop straight off on me. But Karen has never really done the shhh/pat method, mainly I think cause she still doesnt like to hear her moan, however she has found she can do it, especially if she catches her early then Phoebe doesnt complain at all, and actually seems to prefer sleeping that way, as she will sleep for longer.

This means we are so much closer to putting her down! Hopefully over the next couple of weeks we are going to work on getting her to sleep on her own!

Thanks for the advice!

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
6 week
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2005, 08:41:47 am »
you are so welcome - you and Karen are doing great! i think one of the hardest transitions is from nursing to sleep to independent sleep so a big pat on the back for taking it one step at a time and being realistic that you don't need to go from A to Z in a day KWIM, but continuing to move forward at a pace that works for all of you - this way the effects should be long lasting!   :D
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline lulah'smum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 week
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2005, 10:03:53 am »
Controlled crying means letting bub cry for short periods of time (around 5-10 mins or before the crying becomes screaming), then going back in and patting/shushing, reassuring, stroking, etc which all let baby know that you're still around and you're there for him/her.

I'm all for the BW teaching-to-sleep methods and when they work it must be fantastic, but for us they didn't so we had to resort to controlled crying when Tallulah was 6 months. We actually tried CC at 4 months and it DID work then - but only for a week. I wouldn't recommend trying CC til bub is 6 months, but lots do it before with good results. I feel HUGELY thankful that I have such a good sleeper today. Before we committed to CC Tallulah was usually fed to sleep, other times rocked, dummy, anything... And once she was finally asleep she'd wake up again and again.  :cry: 

To quote a well-known Australian early-childhood health professional (Robin Barker)...

"One of the problems faced by parents who would like to change things is the fear that control crying is harmful"...
"In the context of a healthy baby in a loving home I believe, based on my professional experience, that if there were negative consequences due solely to control crying they would be short term"

In other words, if Tallulah suffered because we left her to cry for short periods, she is certainly over it now! She's a very happy (albeit touchy, but she's been touchy since day dot) bright and talkative well-adjusted toddler, who sleeps 11 hours at night and 2-3hrs during the day without arguments.

Anyway, just had to have my purge! I know a lot of people here are against CC so I just wanted to have my say in the argument  :wink: However I also realise it's not for every parent/child and I would not encourage anyone to try it without doing their homework first and making sure they definitely want to follow through.