Author Topic: Problems with time it takes to go to sleep  (Read 3296 times)

Offline MPalmer

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
what's been working for us
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2005, 19:39:01 pm »
Hi again~

I was just thinking I could type a quick diddy about what has been working for us to get our little guy relaxed and to sleep.

1)  When feeding, we keep the lights & noise down to not stimulate him.  When he's over tired...he has a hard time focusing on eating.  He thrashes around.  So we talk softly, and are gentle.
2) After he eats, we make a quick diaper & clothes change if necessary and then go back to chair for about 5-10 minutes of cuddling...skin on skin.  This really relaxes him. 
3)  After that...we swaddle him tightly!   If not...his jerky arms & legs just stimulate him more.  So, after we swaddle we nuzzle in the chair or bed either with his head nuzzled against our arm or chest...skin on skin.  He also likes a hand against his face or on his head.   Shhhh/pat doesn't work.  Only a slight bit of patting when he's agitated and shhhhh'ing only when he's crying works.   Oh ya...we give him a pacifier too.
4)  On good days we put him down somewhat asleep in his basinet and keep a hand on his chest until he's out.  On bad days we just hold him the whole time.  That gets tiring...but he sleeps in our arms.
5)  We don't usu. leave the house...but he does sleep in a front carrier.  Again...I think it's skin on skin (somewhat.)

Hope that helps!!!  You just have to experiment with what sooths him.   Good Luck~!
Michele - mom to Alex 10/3/05

Offline Esmeralda Gamboa

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Consistency pays off
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2005, 22:03:03 pm »
My DD was the same or somewhat I was in the same boat too! I was exhausted, sleep deprived and praying when will the routine work.  She is now 13 weeks and before  her 9th week  , she was  developing a pattern .Doing everything the same way everyday , your baby  will get use to it . Remember he doesn't know how to go to sleep. Right now if you have to make him fall asleep in your arms them put him down in his basket or when you see him sleepy enough to put him in his crib. That what I did and eventually putting her down in her crib as soon I saw the first cues .  You have to do what works for you  until you notice that your DS is getting use to  a routine. The first weeks I worried of accidental parenting but then I did what suited me FOR A  WHILE then gradually  not letting  fall asleep in my arms  and in her crib.Don't get me wrong I was out of my mind at first, my daughter look like I was giving her caffeine,  she would  be awake from 6pm to 11pm , overtired arms flying , getting out of her swaddle.
Right now any accidental parenting for me  it was a plus, b/c  you can undo it very fast . The Pacifier was a God send ,  my DD didn't want none of it  ( She was bf ) . The consisitency with it really work. She now sleeps from 8:30 pm until 7 am ( with the dream feed at 10:30). The paci sends off to sleep and with her naps too. :D

Offline Luka's Dad

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Problems with time it takes to go to sleep
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2005, 19:44:45 pm »
Quote from: corrina01
What is your schedule like?

Are you on a 3hr easy,  maybe he is hungry before then.  If you can post a detailed schedule, then maybe I can help with my lo only about 15 weeks older than yours and I can vaguely remember what I did.

Well here is an example day.  Unfortunately every day is kind of different, so I don't know if this really representative!  :?

6.05 Eat
6.25 Put down (start shh/pat)
7.30 Sleep
8.10 Eat
9.00 Activity
9.10 Put down
9.45 Sleep
10.40 Eat
11.20 Activity
11.50 Put down
12.15 Sleep
12.40 Awake
13.00 Eat
13.35 Put down
14.50 Sleep
16.00 Eat
16.50 Activity
17.10 Put down
17.35 Sleep
18.00 Eat
18.30 Put down
20.00 Eat
20.20 Put down
21.30 Eat
22.30 Put down
23.30 Sleep

Where a put down follows an eat it is because he has yawned immeadiately, and so there has been no chance for activity.

I don't think we have managed to get him to go to sleep in less than an hour for the past day or so, and for the past 20 minutes or so as I have typed this, all I could hear is him screaming his head off as my wife has tried to get him to go down.  This really isn't working for us!

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2005, 09:48:28 am »
That schedule looks good.  Have you got the first two books? If so, have you done the type of baby he is? 

If you and your wife need a break, do some accidental parenting, whatever it takes to get your DS to sleep at night.  As MPalmer said accidental parenting can soon be easily undone. But be careful, just until he learns how to go to sleep. Then tackle going to sleep in the basket.

Just a thought, is he happy upright and feeding?  But he screams as soon as you lay him down?

You are doing a good job, so don't give up.

Work on the days first. 

Try ssshh without the pat. My DD doesn't like the pat.

Try not to cluster feed as you are doing in the evenings.   My DD has never cluster fed.

Remember you are just trying to get him to sleep. Don't beat yourself up over it, we all go through it.  Remember there are some babies worse than yours. :)
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2005, 19:43:00 pm »
Hi there

It sounds like you're having an absolute nightmare, I hope you and your wife are enjoying a nice glass of wine when he eventually goes down in the evening!  (in moderation, of course, if your wife is breastfeeding!!)

My DS is 10 weeks old now and although I tried to implement EASY from day 1, it was about week 3 before I was able to start getting to grips with it.  My 'top tips' are dummy and swaddling.  You're already doing the swaddling (and miracle blankets are fab!) and I would thoroughly recommend being persistent with getting your DS to take the dummy.  Zander is exclusively breastfed and is happy to take a dummy - we've found the Mam ones to be the best as he's able to keep hold of it himself for longer.  When we first put the dummy in our DS's mouth he does a very loose sucking - don't let go at this point as he hasn't got it yet!  Some gentle stroking of the cheek can help to get his sucking reflex going and eventually he'll take it properly.  Also, try and get him to take it when he's calm and not overtired or in a state - you don't stand a chance then!  Anyhow - we've found that implementing all the Baby Whisperer principles (including the dummy) means that we can put Zander into bed at night, wide awake after his bath, and we don't hear from him again all evening!  In the evenings he spits his dummy out really quickly and goes into a deep sleep and because we don't replace the dummy when it falls out he doesn't wake up expecting us to do so.  Do you have an evening routine of a bath etc?  I'm sure this has also helped him to understand when it is bedtime. 

I didn't want to use a dummy originally - some people frown upon them and I felt like a bit of a failure for using one.  However, they've helped to make DS a great feeder, sleeper etc. and once he's a little older I'll use PU/PD to take the dummy away.  That will be a whole other story ...!

Good Luck!
Kelly

PS - is your DS being fed close to his nap/bed time, could he have wind?  Zander screams his head off with wind and no amount of dangling him over my shoulder and rubbing and patting his back will do.  My miracle cure is Gripe Water - we've gone through bottles of it!  Literally seconds after we've given him a dose he'll stop crying and we give him his dummy and he's asleep in seconds, even if it isn't nap time!  We've found it much more effective than Infacol and the like.
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline Luka's Dad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2005, 15:28:36 pm »
That schedule looks good.  Have you got the first two books? If so, have you done the type of baby he is?

We have the first book, and although it's a little early early to work out his temperament, we have decided he is pretty much a textbook baby.  Except when it comes to bedtime :)

Just a thought, is he happy upright and feeding?  But he screams as soon as you lay him down?

He will be a bit grizzly (indicating it's time for bed), so we swaddle him and he starts screaming.  This can be consoled after a while so that he is looking sleepy in our arms.  We put him down and he starts screaming again.  We thought it may be reflux, so have raised his matress at the head end, but he is gaining weight like nobodies business (gained 1lb 1oz in the past week and a half), so we're pretty sure it's not that.

Try not to cluster feed as you are doing in the evenings.   My DD has never cluster fed.

We're not actually intentionally cluster feeding :)  The feeds on the report I gave were generally because we had been trying to get him down for so long, and he was so over tired, that it was the only thing that would calm him down.

Offline Luka's Dad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2005, 15:36:38 pm »
Quote from: zandersmummy
My 'top tips' are dummy and swaddling.  You're already doing the swaddling (and miracle blankets are fab!) and I would thoroughly recommend being persistent with getting your DS to take the dummy.

It probably is worth persevering with a dummy.  I think my general aversion to the idea has meant that when he refuses it, I'm kind of releaved!  I have also tried giving it to him when he has been upset, which as you say, really doesn't help matters.  I'll try some of the tips you've suggested.

Do you have an evening routine of a bath etc?  I'm sure this has also helped him to understand when it is bedtime. 

We don't have an evening routine, as his activity time is so short that it doesn't allow for one.  We are trying to get a small wind down routine int the short time available though.

PS - is your DS being fed close to his nap/bed time, could he have wind?  Zander screams his head off with wind and no amount of dangling him over my shoulder and rubbing and patting his back will do.  My miracle cure is Gripe Water

We tried using infacol for a few days, but it did nothing, so we started using gripe water with him about a week ago.  It is easier to get him to burp, but a lot of the time it still sounds like (from his cries) that he needs to burp some more.  We have a similar situation, where no amount of rubbing, patting, jiggling or dangling will get the desired results. :(

Offline corrina01

• Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2005, 15:50:01 pm »
If he has wind, try laying him on your lap on his tummy, and then gently patting his back, or leave him lying on his back for a minute and then gently lifting him up, thats what worked with my DD.  Or maybe he has an upset stomach and he has wind down below, (my DD had it terrible for the first 2 months), in that case lift him on your shoulder and then pat his bum for about 5 minutes, to let him know where it should be coming from.

Take it from me it will get easier as time goes by. 

You will get used to your baby and my DP said when my DD was that old, in a few weeks you will wonder what the fuss was about. 

Just try and read his hunger and tired cries.

Any more info, I will try to answer.
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline 15milner

• Showing Appreciation 211
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2005, 16:12:51 pm »
As a completely different idea.

at 5 weeks my Matthew cried a lot, didn't sleep well etc.  I took him to see a cranial osteopath.  Birth is a traumatic time for babies and things are pushed / pulled / twisted etc and my basic understanding is that somethings might not be quite where they are - even though in my eyes I had a good labour / birth. 

We had just 3 sessions (many more than that and a good osteopath should say that the treatment isn't being effective).  After those 3 sessions, he seemed so much happier and calmer, the colicky symptoms and crying were definately less than they had be.

I had to believe that it worked.  If you are into trying complementary therapy then try this.  It is completely non-physical, from what it looks like, the baby is fully clothed ( i bf at the same time) and the practitioner is just putting their hands on the baby, however I have an adult friend who gets cranial osteopathy and she says that she feels things working, so there is something in it.

You are doing a great job - you are all trying to get to know each other - you are trying to work out what you new baby wants and he is trying to work out the best way of communicating his needs to you.

Best wishes
Alex

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2005, 16:38:29 pm »
Just thought I'd throw a few thoughts in here.

Cluster feeding before bedtime is normal, and encouraged at this age (Tracy even suggests doing it). I use to do it all the time with my lo, and it helped her sleep at night somewhat because she wasn't as hungry. So, while it works for some, it might not work for others. But it's certainly something that's ok to do...I'm not sure why it's being suggested not to do it.

I'll be honest, at 5 weeks, your lo is just now getting his nights straightened out. The BW principals do work, but they take some time, something I can see you're really trying to do. I know a lot of people would probably say "stick with it" at this point, but tbh, right now I think it's best to just do what you know works, and then try and straighten his day out as his night sleep develops in a few weeks. Babies are creatures of habit, but it only takes a few days to change a habit at this age.

Something you can do now to set the stage is create a wind down routine that you're going to stick with for awhile for naps and bedtime. If you need to feed to sleep for a few weeks, put that in your wind down routine, but take it out when you start to really focus on sleep training.

So, his schedule looks more like wake,feed, diaper change, feed (or whatever you want to use as a prop) back to bed for now. As soon as night sleep is developed in a few weeks (you'll notice he's sleeping longer at night), you can ease into sleep training. Pacifiers are wonderful things if your lo will learn to take it! You'll eventually have to wean him, or he'll wean himself, but they're soo nice in the beginning.

Hope something in here helps!

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2005, 08:16:53 am »
Hi there I thought I'd put my two pence worth, our baby when first born would not sleep for more than 45min and was always crying, even the midwives at the hospital were glad for their shift to be over :wink: .

It was an awful time for my Dh and I, a couple of midwives suggested that DS had gas they would wrap a warm (not hot) towel around his belly and it seemed to calm him for a while. also we used to elevating the matress, that seemed to help (you can put a towel on a radiator).

Then when he was four weeks we started giving him infacol (you can get it from a pharmacy or ask a ped) before feeds, it's totally natural and helped a bit with the gas. 

People kept on saying to me he would settle I had no idea what they meant but I hoped he would very soon :wink: . Then when he turned six weeks old he really calmed down he became a bit more aware of his surroundings but mostly didn.t cry all the time and started sleeping for longer stretches.

Things started to get so much better and calmer, He still suffered from gas problems (but thats another story). But at least we knew what it was and how to handle it.

By the way our DS didn't like the dummy to much either we kept offering it to him then he got the hang of it.

Your doing a great job your Lo is very lucky to have parents like you :D