Author Topic: Ideas--Getting your lo to sleep somewhere other than crib  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
Ideas--Getting your lo to sleep somewhere other than crib
« on: November 08, 2005, 15:19:32 pm »
I thought we could come up with a list of things for moms to try to teach their lo to sleep somewhere other than their crib. I know with the holidays coming up, a lot of you are going to be traveling, so I figured it might be a good idea :)

Here are some of mine:

1) When you travel, take with you the sheets and blankets you use when you put your lo down. Also take with you any of your lo's favorite objects. Put them down in an environment similar to what they sleep in at home, as close as is possible.

2) Bring with you a pack n play, bassinet, or other crib-type of furniture. To get them ready for it, start a week or 2 in advance, and put them to bed in it, and then have them nap in it. Put it in their room to start, then after a few days or so move it to another room in the house, and put them to sleep in it there. Move it around as you like, including perhaps trying it at grandma's or some other place you visit often. Hopefully they begin to associate the travel crib with sleep. Make sure you put them to sleep in their own crib every couple of nights/nap times to make sure they continue to sleep well there.

We're currently trying the second idea, and my lo just took a 1.5 hour nap in it after only 2 days. She usually doesn't nap well anywhere but her crib; we're lucky to get her down at all. She did sleep the whole night in it the first night. Right now it's set up in her room; I'm thinking it's time to try another room :)

Hope this helps someone!

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005

Offline evanskimberley

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
Ideas--Getting your lo to sleep somewhere other than crib
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 16:52:07 pm »
Try to have something up high for them to look at.  If your LO is used to having a mobile above their cot, and then you go away and there is nothing but a great expanse of white ceiling I think it can be quite frightening.

So try a mobile for the travel cot, or hanga toy forom the ceiling.
Kimberley