Author Topic: Inconsistent efficient feeder or just losing interest?  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Rohan's mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Inconsistent efficient feeder or just losing interest?
« on: November 08, 2005, 18:21:56 pm »
Hi all
My DS is 5 months old and has only ever been beastfed. He's recently cut 2 teeth and has 2 more on the way. For the last 4 or 5 weeks now I've had problems with feeds. Some days he's just not interested in feeding much at all. I'm constantly worried that he is getting enough but since he has not woken in the night looking to nurse (he has woken up but is easily resettled)  and up until last week his weight gain has been ok I relaxed a bit.

However last week his weight gain was only 5oz in 2 weeks and these last 2 days he seems just not to be interested, he's either playing about bobbing on and off or wingeing at the breast. He will occasionally nurse for longer usually when he's a bit sleepy. Last night I DID have to feed him (3.15a.m) but for the rest of today he's only taken what I would say is one decent feed. He's been ok in himself and is not looking to nurse more freqently but he is soiling virtually every nappy, some of which look decidedly green!

Is it possible to be an inconsistent efficient feeder or to lose interest in milk alone and start looking for something extra or is it just down to teething? I'm wondering whether I should be starting to wean or leave it for a day or two longer and see if it is just efficiency/teething etc.

Would appreciate any thoughts/ideas. I don't really want to wean until he's 6 months if I can

Thanks a lot
Nicky- Mum to Rohan b. 3rd June 2005

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Inconsistent efficient feeder or just losing interest?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 19:30:50 pm »
My bet is on teeth. Babies don't generally sel-wean under a year - more likely he's just feeling extra fussy.  You could try some tylenol 30 min before a feed and see if it helps any. And weight gain often settles around that age before having another spurt in the 6 month range.  I wouldn't worry too much!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha