Author Topic: Should my "catnap" turn into a long nap?  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Carina's Mommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Should my "catnap" turn into a long nap?
« on: November 08, 2005, 18:30:42 pm »
I started my 4 1/2 month old on the 4 hour EASY schedule three weeks ago. I followed Tracy's recommended schedule very closely and put her down for her naps at 9, 1, and catnap at 5.  It was very hard to keep DD up long enough to make it to the next nap.

After 2 weeks of being strict with the schedule, I'm starting to put her down earlier when she is really tired--8:15 (slept for 1.5 hours) and then 11:45 today (struggled at 45 minute mark, but finally back to sleep).  Should she have another "real nap" around 4--or just a catnap and put her to bed early? 

I tried the 4:00 catnap and bed at 6:30 yesterday, but we just had trouble until 7:30 at which time she finally fell asleep.

She always has awoken from her catnap still tired (crying and fussy). 

(We struggle a lot with 45 minute naps too--but I try to get her back to sleep for the 2 real naps using PU/PD)

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Should my "catnap" turn into a long nap?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 21:00:48 pm »
it is good that you have realized thatyou don't have to follow the times in the routine - t is a guide and you adapt it to your child.  do what you did yesterday - sounds great.  for olivia at that age, quite often her catnap was 1hr 30 - she just preferred to sleep int he afternoon so we went with it.  basically i think if it does not interfere with bedtime then you go with what they need. so if she sleeps 1hr 30 and goes down around 7:30 foine than no problem.  if she struggles because she is not tired at 7-7:30 then you know to limit it - try 1he 15, or 1hr if still too much - it is all trial and error until you find what works.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified