Author Topic: How do I stop these habitual wakings?  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Caleb's_Mommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 05, 2005, 20:47:51 pm »
My LO had a cold and was waking lots because he couldn't breath, so I had to keep going in and clearing his nose every few hours.  His cold lasted over a week, and he's better now, but then had a few days of teething - where he would wake up screaming and trying to chew his finger off.  I ended up BF him for comfort after using a cold wash cloth etc.

Between the cold and teething (and newly learned skill of rolling from back to tummy), his night wakings have become a bad habit. 

We BF and start our bedtime routine at 7, and he usually asleep by 8 in his crib.  He falls asleep on his own, but just can't seem to sooth himself through these night wakings.  He has a DF around 11:30 and is asleep right away after that, but then is awake every two hours, usually around 2am and 4 am.

And after trying to leave him to self-sooth he goes into full on screaming within a couple of minutes. 

HELP!!

(Before his cold he was only waking twice - around 11:30 for a feed - which we turned into a dreamfeed, and then around 5 for another feed and wouls sleep until we got up around 7:30... and if he woke in between and couldn't fall asleep on his own, a shh/pat would work within a minute... but now when I have him on his side for shh/pat he rolls over and gets more upset).
Ally & Baby Caleb - June 3, 2005

Gigismom

How do I stop these habitual wakings?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 15:36:15 pm »
i would say just be consistent with whatever method you use to soothe him.  he may still be upset, and that's ok.  you are teaching him to soothe himself, so it's worth it in the end.  we went through a rough patch like this too when gianna learned to roll over and was teething at the same time.  i just used the same method at every waking and within a week or so, she was back to sleeping through.  good luck.