Author Topic: DD allergic to her cousin!  (Read 2728 times)

Offline kc

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.kingdomofthegiants.com
DD allergic to her cousin!
« on: November 09, 2005, 00:02:08 am »
I know this sounds a bit drastic & i'll explain myself...

My Mum looks after my daughter Sarah while i'm at work, Sarah has Milk & egg allergies.

Recently my Mum has kept my nephew during the day too. The first time I called my Mum to see how things are going & she told me that Sarahs eyes had swollen, she didn't know why & she gave her Piriton as a precautionary measure. This didn't take the swelling away. (It kinda reminded me of a Hay Fever sufferer, she rubs at her eyes, they must be itchy & i'm sure this doesn't help her).  We washed Sarahs hands & face, took her out for a walk in the fresh air & eventually, 3 hours after we collected her, the swelling & redness reduced & went away. The first time this happened we thought it was just a coincidence that the 2 kids were together & thought we'd check it out next time they were together all day, this was yesterday & unfortunately the same thing happened again.

Now my nephew (7mths old) spews a lot, for example yesterday 9 bibs were used & he had to be changed 3 times. My Mum also had to change her clothes & has to be careful what toys Sarah touches after DN has been in contact with them. My poor Mum is worried about both children, she is concerned why my nephew spews so much & that Sarah & him can't enjoy being together. Sarah wanted to hold his hands to play ring a ring a rosy but my Mum panicked in case she tried to hug him again, she loves giving hugs.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has come across this, is it a normal thing to have a reaction like this because of her allergy?

Can you recommend anything we can do to help ease Sarahs wee eyes & to reduce the stress on my poor Mum   :shock:

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 02:45:01 am »
Wow, what a challenge. Is there any possible way you could change the situation? As in find someone else to care for dd, either an allergy-free care center or a private someone willing to be milk/egg-free? Or could you possible stay home with her?

The type of allergy you are describing is scary, each exposure is making her worse. Does your pediatrician have any advice?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Chantel03

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 03:30:11 am »
Could it be the laundry detergent that your nephew's mom uses?  A lot of people with allergies can only have certain types of detergent, and maybe your nephews mom uses a diffrent one than you.

Or does you dd have any allergies too animales.  Maybe your nephews mom has animales.

What are you thinking?  That since your nephew drinks milk, and spits up that your dd is having a reaction to the spit up?  Can she not touch milk without a reaction?  Put some milk on her hand if she has a reaction then that would be it.  If not then it would be something else.  Maybe the lotion they use on him, baby powder, or something else they put on him.

Good Luck.
Tanner- My active, fun loving 4yr old.
Kaitlyn- My new baby girl.

Offline kc

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 11:04:00 am »
Quote from: GraceKellysmom
Wow, what a challenge. Is there any possible way you could change the situation? As in find someone else to care for dd, either an allergy-free care center or a private someone willing to be milk/egg-free? Or could you possible stay home with her?

Sarahs main carer is my Mum, she has a practically Milk free environment in her house. Now she would have cheese/milk in her fridge but she does not eat/drink these when Sarah is there. My Mum really does understand the importance of this, she realised it when my uncle kissed Sarah after eating a sandwhich, the only diary on it was butter, and her face broke out. Her reaction is exactly the same as Jackaroosmum lo. http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/is-this-an-allergy-or-sensitive-skin-help-vt36020.html My mum panicked as she had never seen Sarah take a reaction before, she gave her piriton & it did reduce the rash.

Quote from: GraceKellysmom
The type of allergy you are describing is scary, each exposure is making her worse. Does your pediatrician have any advice?

I haven’t spoke to the paediatrician yet as the 2nd incident was only on Monday of this week. We are not due to see the Paed again until February.

Quote from: Chantel03
Could it be the laundry detergent that your nephew's mom uses?  A lot of people with allergies can only have certain types of detergent, and maybe your nephews mom uses a diffrent one than you.

Or does you dd have any allergies too animales.  Maybe your nephews mom has animales.

What are you thinking?  That since your nephew drinks milk, and spits up that your dd is having a reaction to the spit up?  Can she not touch milk without a reaction?  Put some milk on her hand if she has a reaction then that would be it.  If not then it would be something else.  Maybe the lotion they use on him, baby powder, or something else they put on him.

Good Luck.

The detergent is the same as mine & my brother does not have any animals. I really think that it is because my nephew spews a lot. Sarah can’t touch milk or she does break out in that rash, so far it has only appeared on her face. I don’t think I could try it anywhere else on her body because I am really trying to keep her away from being in contact with it otherwise she will never get over the allergy.  :shock:

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 11:35:31 am »
KC - I don't mean to scare you but the type of contact reaction (probably to the regurgitated milk from your nephews vomit) that Sarah is having sounds pretty serious and as Stacy has suggested it seems to be getting worse each time.

How was the egg and milk diagnosis first made. Has Sarah ever been tested? Do they know how high the antibody to these things is?

We were in hospital last week for tests and the nurses said they would stop the test straight away if there was a reaction on the first stage (contact testing) as this clearly indicative of a highly sensitive person.

DO NOT TEST AT HOME. I REALLY think you should call your GP and or the hospital to update them on these latest reactions - I think it sounds serious enough to bring forward your appt.

I do not know if there are many other experience parents on here going through skin contact reactions but I know there are a few ladies on this forum http://www.milkfree.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php who are going through the same. The forum used the same system as the BW one so you should be able to pick it up quickly if you wish to post on that site.

hth
Sara

Offline kc

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 14:46:20 pm »
Sarahs Milk allergy was diagnosed by a RAST test, they said it rated 3 on a scale from 0-6. He egg allergy has yet to be confirmed as she wasn't given egg until after the RAST test had been given, though she showed a 2 for 'other foods'. These include Milk, Eggs, Soy, Peanut, wheat & I can't remember the last one. So the dietician said that could be any of them, but I find that a bit strange as she tested 3 for milk & milk is included in other foods... :roll:

I have contacted Sarahs dr but his secretary said that he did not take calls or give advice over the phone, she offered to give us an earlier appt but as we are going to the hospital on Thursday (for an earlier kidney infection) she has advised that we speak to that Dr & hopefully he will contact her allergy dr. I hope her allergy dr will speak to this other dr, (sorry this is so long winded!) but if not then I have to phone back & get the earlier appt.

I have joined the website forum you suggested, thank you, i'm just waiting for my password.

On the situation with my Mum, I have spoken to my brother & sister-in-law. They have been really supportive & understanding, they have arranged a different carer for my nephew until this problem is sorted out. I know this will upset my Mum too but she does understand the importance of Sarah being kept away from contact with milk. My brother has promised that they will make sure she see's my nephew more & have invited her to stay with them 1 night a week to spend time with him.

I'm so glad I spoke to them all, my husband & I feel a lot better about the situation now. Thank goodness Sarah is not in a creshe or nursery!!

Thank you all sooo much for your input & support. I'll keep you updated after Thursday at the hospital.

:)

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 09:35:42 am »
sounds like you've got it all in order kc. Well done. When you go to the hospital try and impress upon them how urgently you wish to speak to someone and the stress it is putting on your family. They won't know you're personal circumstances unless you tell them and I've always been very polite and patient in the hospital and then got home and regretted not asking more questions or pushing harder for responses.

good luck and let us know how you get on.

Sara

PS I'm suprised at the 3 rating, Liv rated 1 to "mixed foods" and she doesn't even come out in a rash anymore to milk. Just shows how unrepresntative they can be of the allergy itself.

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 19:35:41 pm »
Good for you! Praying that Sarah will some day be allergy-free because of the hard work you are doing now to keep her contact-free.

Please continue to update as time goes on.

You are one strong mama.  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline kc

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 12:49:04 pm »
So, we went to the hopsital yesterday. It turned out that it was to get her MMR!!  :shock: My dh was mad because he would have been there too! She got it, without any reactions  :D & so far so good, she hasn't had a temperature....yet. I believe she could have some kind of side effect after 10 days & maybe again in 3 weeks, but we'll cross those bridges if & when we they appear.

I asked the Dr if he could help me with regards to her allergy, he did know about allergies and assured me that her reaction is just another 'type' of reaction. He said it isn't any more serious than the rash she gets on contact with milk. Thank goodness!

The main thing is that she must be kept away from all contact with milk which we knew already He said it was an ‘in-house’ issue, again, tell me something I don’t know!! :roll:

He asked could my nephew not take Pepti JNR, same milk as Sarah. I thought this was a bit extreme; I wouldn't like someone telling me what milk to give my child. I said to him it would be different if it was Sarah's brother or sister, then I would definately take that route.

So, I feel a lot better about this after talking to him, it's like a weight lifted off our shoulders.

My Mum got a visit last night from my brother & nephew, so she is happy too.

I just want to say again, thank you all so much for listening & for your advice, it truly is invaluable.   :)

Offline kc

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 15:49:20 pm »
I thought i'd give you an update on this situation.

2006 has started off well. My Mum has started looking after Christopher again, it's only once every fortnight but Sarah has been fine. We all spent a couple of days together at my Mums over the christmas period & Sarah did not have any reaction to Christopher at all"  :D He is not taking as many bottle feeds now & my sister in law said last week that she had no problem with Christopher drinking Sarahs formula milk (if he will take it  :? ) or soy milk in his food.  :D

My Mum had them both all day on Friday. They ate breakfast together, made with Sarah's formula milk, one spoonful for Sarah then one for Christoher. She said it was brilliant they both loved it! Christopher had already had his bottle of milk before we collected him & he has stopped spewing a lot :)

At Lunch, they both had my Mums home made Lentil & sweet potato stew, well actually all 3 of them had it and loved it!

In the afternoon, christopher had Sarahs formula milk & didn't complain at all  :D

Isn't it wonderful to have an understanding family, I am so grateful to my brother & his wife for helping Sarah in this way...
...and of course your help on here too. We need this forum so much for support, being able to bounce things off each other is so important & builds confidence! :)

Sarah also got the all clear from her kidney dye test & scan. All we need is for her RAST test to come out negative in February & we'll be jumping for joy  :D

p.s  ...i wanted to change the topic to also say - update - but haven't got a clue how i could do that, sorry

I'm still waiting on my password too for http://www.milkfree.org.co.uk, not good

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 19:57:39 pm »
It's so nice to hear your update that things are going better. Unbelieveable in all areas of life what a little time does to heal.

Keeping my fingers crossed that those RAST come back negative sooner than later.
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies