Author Topic: Milk Allergy?  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Lucysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
Milk Allergy?
« on: November 09, 2005, 00:53:55 am »
Hi -
My dd has been on soy formula since she was 3 weeks old.  I originally had her on regular milk based formula but switched her to soy as I thought it was constipating her.  Looking back, I regret switching her to soy as I don't think she really needed to be switched.  Rather, she just needed to adjust to the formula (I had the beginnings of ppd so was a bit looney and did not think through decisions very well). 

We have had two episodes that make me fear she is now allergic to milk.  The first episode happened when we ran out of soy and had to give her milk based formula in the middle of the night.  She threw up in the night and then again in the morning (after more milk formula) and then also had diarrhea.  I took her to the doctor and the doctor said Lucy had a tummy virus and that her diarrhea looked viral as it was mucousy.  She said that an allergy would manifest itself as fussiness or a rash.  Lucy was totally better a few hours later.

The second episode happened when dh gave her a teaspoon of plain yogurt.  Two hours later she vomited and then kept on vomiting off and on for the next hour.  No diarrhea though.  Again, I took her to the doctor and she seemed like she was feeling fine again.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?  My doctor is not being that helpful with this so wanted to pick your collective brains.  Sorry for the long post.  TIA!!!!

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Milk Allergy?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 11:13:33 am »
How old is your lo now? Is she on other solids?

It is difficult to say as allergy symptoms can manifest themselves in different ways but you would often see some sort of rash. Whilst your doc has said viral reactions produce mucousy stools, allergy can also maniest in this way.

Personally I would leave again for a few weeks and try some on her skin but make sure you do this when the docs surgery is open in case you need to get down there straight away to show them any reaction. Other than than trying milk/milk products again or abstaining then the only other option is to go and discuss with your doc or another doc.

hth

Sara

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Milk Allergy?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 12:07:47 pm »
I was allergic to formula, mum had me on cow and gate I think, and there was one other formula around when I was a baby.  I was allergic to it, as I had the most awful nappy rash around.  My mum would sit and cry when she changed my nappies, as she had to peel them (actually peel) off me.

When my DP was a baby he was allergic to all types of formula, the nurses ended up giving him evaporated milk.

I give my DD Farleys, as according to the nurses in the NCU it is the only one they give for premature babies.
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel