Author Topic: More shh-pat questions  (Read 921 times)

Offline M&M's Ima

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
More shh-pat questions
« on: November 09, 2005, 08:57:35 am »
can i sing or have gentle music on instead of saying "shh"?
is it ok if i calm him to the opint of sleeping on my shoulder, then pat him into a deeper sleep in his crib? is it a.p. if he falls asleep on me initially?
when i pat him in his crib, he keeps startling awake, even after he gets past the "jolt". (maybe a swaddle will help that?)
often when he's just about sleeping, he'll seem to get a second wind and wont settle til i hold him and walk around a little.
all advice really welcome. need to solve this!
My boys:
Angel four year old
Spirited two year old
Very Sleepy Baby

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
More shh-pat questions
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 10:50:13 am »
i woudl recommend you stick with saying Shh - it is repetitive and more like white noise, whereas singing can be stimulating.

try to just get him calm (ie relaxed and not crying) but not asleep on your shoulder.  if he falls asleep on your shoulder and then transfers to cot, when he goes through sleep cycles he will know he is not where he started and will need you to puyt him back to sleep on your shoulder, etc  by putting him in the cot awake but drowsyyou are letting him learn to finish the job himself.  he may not do it yet (and that is why in the beginning pat/shh is needed by some babies to get all the way to sleep) but eventually he will put himself to sleep and then he will learn to resettle himself and get through several sleep cycles, etc

if he is startling himself because his hands are free, then yes a swaddle may help.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified