Author Topic: Is a blankie safe for 15-week old?  (Read 1070 times)

Offline marcusg

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Is a blankie safe for 15-week old?
« on: November 09, 2005, 10:04:22 am »
Hi folks,

We just got a lovely blankie from mothercare for our 15-week old little one, this one to be exact:

http://www.mothercare.com/invt/lx0612&bklist=

We're hoping it will help her be more settled at night, have more or less weaned her off the dummy, which had become a prop so was a real problem, but she still wakes quite often and has trouble getting settled again ...

So just wanted to double check - is a blankie totally safe for a baby her age? No danger of choking or suffocation?!  :shock:

Thanks!  :D

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 10:36:03 am »
Babies don't get attached to things (well, other than pacifiers and mommy  :wink:) until around 9 mo.  I would say that your lo is too young for this to settle her like a pacifier would, although, if she's not rolling over yet, it should be safe for a while longer.

My opinion is to bring it out again at around 7 months.  Introduce it during activity time and then slowly bring it into the crib.

I've been giving my lo a blanket during his naps and bedtime so he can get used to a lovey but, the way he sleeps (rolling over onto his tummy) still makes me very nervous about letting him keep it during his sleep.  I usually make sure he doesn't have his face in it as he's falling asleep and then go in and take it away when he's asleep (or at least move it away from his face).  So far he's been fine but it only take 1 time for it to be a mistake, right?   :?  :(
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline OrlaB

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 13:34:04 pm »
My dd is a blankie addict, but rather than get one of a kind that would be hard to replace, she has a muslin square.

It also gives me peace of mind because it is only a very thin material, so that if (heaven forbid) she does end up with it over her face, she can still breath.

So I would definatly recommend a muslin for those 2 reasons.
Joe born 11/25/03 weighing 11lb 4oz
Aimee born 02/01/05 weighing 9lb