Author Topic: Naps for 3-Month Old  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Naps for 3-Month Old
« on: November 09, 2005, 14:00:52 pm »
Oddly enough, my DD (three months Friday) has started sleeping all the way through the night! Three nights in a row now she's gone from 7:30/7:45pm until 6:40am.

However, we are having to adjust her naps to fit this - as she used to wake once around 3am, go back to bed at 4am and sleep until 7:30.

She's on a 4-hour schedule and always has been - she prefers to eat that way and likes to take long naps and she has cereal in her bottle per GI doc for reflux.

I generally have to wake her from her first two naps of the day (although some days we do battle the 45 min issue).

Yesterday I let her sleep for 1 hour 40 mins for first nap, then 2 hours 20 minutes for second one - she fell asleep OK for catnap but only slept for 30 minutes, meaning she was awake for three (!) hours before bedtime.

How can/should I adjust things to get either a slightly longer catnap or a slightly later catnap (same length but starts and ends later) so there is not so much time before her bedtime? Can/should I let that middle nap be longer? Or are the naps already too long and that is why she has trouble with the catnap? So hard to tell!

Thanks much. She's doing amazingly well and I'm just trying to tinker now!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Meg's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Naps for 3-Month Old
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 04:30:40 am »
hmmmm, it could be that because the middle nap is soo long...she doesn't need much more sleep come time for the cat nap. 

It is up to you, if you want to try cutting that back by 15min every couple days and see if the catnap gets longer.

That is a long time (3 hrs) of A time for her age, so IMO - i would.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Naps for 3-Month Old
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 11:23:25 am »
Thanks Michele. I'd really rather her awake for no more than 2 hours (maybe 2:15) between catnap and bedtime so I will definitely try to shorten the catnap and see if that helps.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Meg's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Naps for 3-Month Old
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 20:55:34 pm »
You are welcome, i just wanted to be totally clear...

Quote (selected)
Yesterday I let her sleep for 1 hour 40 mins for first nap, then 2 hours 20 minutes for second one - she fell asleep OK for catnap but only slept for 30 minutes, meaning she was awake for three (!) hours before bedtime.

I was referring to cutting back her second nap so that her catnap will be longer.