Author Topic: Is it time to extend wake time for 7mon old?  (Read 1215 times)

Offline hana1978

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Is it time to extend wake time for 7mon old?
« on: November 09, 2005, 14:53:33 pm »
My DS is 7 months (corrected 5 months) and i normally keep him awake for two hours before a nap.  Lately, sometimes he doesnt show any tierd signs after two hours especially for his first nap - and when i try to put him down i have such a fight on my hands - i end up spending half an hour settling him then by the time ive stayed with him until hes in a deep sleep and i creep out the room, he sleeps for a further 10mins then wakes up singing.  He sleeps about 2hrs in the day and about 10-11hrs at night - i realise this isnt enough but how can you force them? 
He was going down at 7pm and waking at 6am, first nap around 8-830 for 45mins, then around 11 for 45mins, then again at 145 for 45mins and normally a forth but times change and sometimes i save my errands until the afternoon and he sleeps in the car or pram.
Today the afternoon nap was HARD - took me 45mins to settle him and he was getting mad at one point, arching his back and sweating.  Nothings changed, weve been on the 2hr wake time for ages and hes been as good as gold (except for the 45min nap problem which he has been doing for months but i gave up on that ages ago). Is it time to extend - whats going on?  Wind down is the same-i spend about 15mins in his room with the lights dimmed, singing and talking etc.  Activity the same, although i do let him watch telly but not too much.
He now sleeps 25-30min each nap and absolutely refuses to take a forth nap (unless its in th car or pram which im not gonna start doing) so hes normally awake from 3 - 7 and is grizzly the whole time!!  Ive tried shh/patt & PUPD to extend naps - doesnt work!
HELP !
Hana.xx

Offline Debprins

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • And now there are two...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 23:59:29 pm »
Hi Hana I Unfortunately dont have any answers as I was just about to post the exact ssame scenario. Iwill be interested in your replies..

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 04:36:20 am »
We have now been thru the 45min battle several times over, every time she is ready to increase her A time she starts the short naps.  So when that happens I know it is time to adjust her schedule or prepare to drop a nap.

I would try a schedule like this:
2.5 after am wake up – usually 1.5-2.0hr in length
2-3hr after end of am nap – same as above

So
7am wake
9.30 am nap – wake no later then 11am
1.00 or 2.00 pm nap – wake no later then 4pm
3.30 or 4.00 catnap (if needed) – 30/45min
7.00 – 7.30 bed

Extend the A time gradually 15min every 3 days and if needed use the A time as part of the nap wind down.

Offline hana1978

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 12:17:10 pm »
Thanks for your reply i will try what you suggested although ive go NO CHANCE of him doing two hours  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: im lucky to get a full 45 mins out of him.!
He wakes up at 6am tho, sometimes 530am and this throws everything off track which is why ive never really been able to keep to the same nap times each day but i read on here just now that somebody puts there LO to bed at 9am for their first nap, regardless of what time they got up in the morning - think ill def try that aswell - not sure why i didnt think of it  :roll:

Quote (selected)
Extend the A time gradually 15min every 3 days and if needed use the A time as part of the nap wind down.

Im def gonna do this aswell, well i have already, i kept him up 2hrs15m and he settled with some shh/patt within 10mins - fingers crossed he goes longer than 30m as his first nap was only 20m - not gonna hold my breath tho  :roll:
Hana.xx

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 16:29:39 pm »
Fingers cross here too....but don't expect instant results..his body maybe in the habit now so it may take some shh/pat or pd/pd get him back to sleep.  Even it doesn't work you are telling him/his body you must nap.

I did the set nap times are a good idea too.  It may help him adjust to a later wake up time.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.