Author Topic: Have to take for walks to nap  (Read 1450 times)

Offline bellmaine

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 09, 2005, 15:52:40 pm »
My daughter is 5 weeks old today and when I try to put her down in her crib for naps she seems to wake up after an 1/2 hour and then I can not settle her down unless I take a walk with her and the minute we hit the fresh air she stops crying and when I walk for a while she falls asleep.  Do I continue to do this?  Or does anybody have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
James John  Born:  April 21,  2002
Helena Bellmaine Born:  October 5,  2005

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Have to take for walks to nap
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 04:04:14 am »
Have you tried shh/pat to her back to sleep in her cot?

Offline bellmaine

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 16:33:41 pm »
I have tried this and she just doesn't settle down.  As soon as she hits the fresh air she stops crying.  Another thing with her is she has reflux and we are letting her sleep in her car seat. Has anyone done this and if so is it hard to break her of this.

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 04:37:29 am »
Have you been over to the reflux board, there is a lot of experienced reflux moms over there.. i would post your car seat question there.

Do you have the reflux under control?  Tracy would say we fix the medical issues before moving forward w/ sleep training. 

It could be the postion of the stroller vs. the crib (do you have it elevated) or the motion of the stroller feels nice to her...?

I am not an expert on reflux, actually last week the ped allergist said my dd might have it and it went untreated for 14mos!  Would you like me to move your post to the reflux board and we can see what those lovely ladies have to say?

Offline hana1978

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 08:15:40 am »
Really theres no need to let her sleep in the car seat - all you need to do is raise the mattress in her crib.  You can buy a wedge from JOJOmamanbebe.co.uk or what i used to do was put pillows underneith the mattress.  Most cots also have two level settings so you could tilt the cot this way.  Shes probably waking up after 30mins from the reflux if shes laying flat in her crib so its really important that you tilt her but dont listen to the doctors who tell you to let them sleep in the bouncy chair or car seat - theres no need !  Is she on medication?  Do you feed her then lay her flat for naps in her crib?  I was told to keep my DS upright for 20-30mins after a feed to help him sleep better and it worked.
Good luck x
Hana.xx

Offline bellmaine

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 14:02:07 pm »
Hello, 
I tried putting the wedge in the crib I just don't think the incline is high enough.  She is on medication Zantac.  I do hold her upright after her feedings for about 20-30 minutes.  Sometimes she still even spits up after her 2 hour nap.  Is that the reflux?

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 14:46:55 pm »
Here is a link to very helpful info on reflux - does have some of these?

Does it seem like the zantac is helping?  How long has she been on it?

http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/reflux-101-general-reflux-information-vt654.html

Offline bellmaine

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 23:39:30 pm »
I think it seems like it is working.  She has been on it for 2 weeks.  She stills spits up a lot.  Sometimes I wonder if she even has reflux maybe she is just a happy spitter.

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 01:56:22 am »
I don't want to be dramatic or scary you but i thought that too and here we are 14mos later turns out she does have it.

I have heard it takes at least 2weeks to see some results and not all meds work for all LOs.