Author Topic: Can't get over the 45 minute nap  (Read 3804 times)

Offline hlc662

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2005, 16:23:10 pm »
I went in and put the paci in her mouth and patted.  I tried to hide, but she picked up her head and turned until she flipped over on her back and then she saw me.
She does this thing where she pulls up on her knees and then flips herself over to her back.  I think that is why she has a hard time putting herself back to sleep.  Even when swaddled she does it.

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Can't get over the 45 minute nap
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2005, 16:33:44 pm »
does she start to suck the paci when you give it to her?

I would try giving her the paci and then leave, don't stay and pat.  OR don't use the paci and try to get her stir...not wake up totally just enough so that she comes out of the deep and starts her sleep cycle all over again.

Does she need the paci to go to sleep?

Offline hlc662

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2005, 16:42:57 pm »
she usually needs the paci to sleep.  Probably a bad habit, but I am just excited that she is actually sleeping in her bed!
I will try that next nap time.  She is awake now.  She only slept about 45 minutes, but woke up happy...

Offline hlc662

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2005, 19:26:57 pm »
I tried it again.  I went in at 30 minutes and put the paci back in her mouth.  She stirred a little and then went back to sleep.  15 minutes later she still woke up...This is almost becoming funny.  Maybe she is not meant to sleep long, is that possible?

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2005, 21:04:59 pm »
IMO - if she wakes happy then yes, but if she is cranky as you describe then she needs more sleep.

The paci isn't helping at all - how they fall asleep is how they stay asleep.  You may not get any progress if she is using this a prop.  There is info on how to break this in the props forum.  Sleeping in her bed is def progress! 

I also think maybe you are expecting results too quickly...she has been taking the 45min naps for how long?  We can't expect her to break the habit on our first or even third try of something.  But if it were me i would keep trying.  Try to stir her a bit more - it is trying to find that fine line between wake but not too awake...i know this is frustrating...i have been there many times!

It will get better - i promise!

Offline hlc662

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2005, 22:11:51 pm »
YEAHHHHH  she took a 2 hour nap today.  I went in there at 45 minutes and waited and waited.  She stirred a little, but went back to sleep without me or her paci!  SHe did wake up screaming!  Can babies this young have nightmares?  Also, she is really sleepy.  I guess she is not used to sleeping that much!  I figured after a 2 hour nap she would be ready to go...oh well!

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2005, 22:18:56 pm »
Oh goodness, finally! 

Big happy hugs to you both!!

Quote (selected)
Can babies this young have nightmares? Also, she is really sleepy. I guess she is not used to sleeping that much! I figured after a 2 hour nap she would be ready to go

I don't know about that one?  Like you said, maybe she was just not to sleeping that much.

Offline hlc662

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2005, 22:26:03 pm »
Thanks for all the support.  Hopefully we will get this going for good.  She also stayed up 1 hour later last night and slept 1 hour later this morning!!