Author Topic: Now she won't go to bed  (Read 1061 times)

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Now she won't go to bed
« on: November 10, 2005, 03:36:18 am »
Even a few weeks ago, bedtime wasn't a big deal.  She was usually dozing in my arms within a minute or two and into the crib.  Now, no matter how tired, it is at least an hour.  What is the deal?  I hold her like usual, and her legs start this sort of jittery kicking.  When I try to hold her arm and her leg she fights more.  I put her down, she just keeps kicking her legs in a way that shakes her whole body.  She tosses and turns, but this is not settling.  At first I thought it was, but she NEVER settles.  Last night, tried putting her to bed starting at 7:30pm.  By 9pm she was crying out of hunger because she hadn't eaten her bottle earlier due to be tired.  But she wouldn't sleep, and kept doing the jimminy legs thing.  We tried everything from leaving her in there to work it out (not crying), to going in and just giving the paci.  NOTHING WORKS anymore!  She fell asleep having the bottle last night, so now that's just one more bit of accidental parenting I can now say I've done.  Tonight, she's had her full bottle, and she's still overtired due to poor napping.  But she did the same thing with the fighting me, so I put her in the crib and left.  She's kind of whining and talking now.  I know she will do this for hours and not sleep.  I will go in and give her the pacifier, and probably do this another half dozen times and another hour before giving that up and picking her up.  I don't even remember how we got her to sleep the night before last.  Can anyone give me some insight into what is going on?  Even when she is well rested, she's still been doing this bedtime thing.  Is this her way of exercising her rights?  I thought they were too young to manipulate, but I'm feeling manipulated but I don't know how.  Either way, what should I do?  I hate holding her and having her fight me, but I also hate leaving her in the crib to toss and turn and whine forever.  Then I lose another hour and a half of my evening stressing.  What should I do??

Offline Katw

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • High Wycombe, England
Now she won't go to bed
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 19:11:44 pm »
Hi, I can't really offer any suggestions but just wanted you to know you are not alone!

My DD is 6 months too and she has started to really kick off at bedtime. Generally naps are ok but she is always refusing a catnap and then ends up overtired for bed. It is now becoming a constant daily battle and she ends up yowling like a cat when left.

I have gone back to trying shushing her but it doesn't seem to have any affect anymore, it just seems to wind her up even more!

Tonight DH is putting her down as he has been on late shifts for the past 4 nights and I've had enough!! I am off to have a nice soak in the bath!

Anyway sorry I can't be any help and I hope you get it sorted soon.
Let me know if you find any magic cure..........

Offline allyson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 00:01:50 am »
my baby did this for about a month. Not sure why, she is 5 1/2 months old now and it is just now fading away. It took us an hour or more, could be up to 2 1/2 hours to get her to sleep. She just grew out of it I think. I tried to sooth her in her crib and place my hands on her until she was asleep. it took a lot. I did pu/pd for a while also. now she falls asleep quick and can sometimes wake 30 min after and I just place her pacifier in and shh her. occ I have to pick her up, then she goes back to sleep. hang in there. it will pass.