Author Topic: when to stop swaddling  (Read 1048 times)

Offline faiths mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
when to stop swaddling
« on: November 10, 2005, 09:32:09 am »
My DD is nearly 5 months.  She keeps getting out of her swaddle, she  sometimes go back to sleep, but most of the time she cannot.  I have ordered a miracle blanket to see if that works.  If not, should I go cold turkey and unswaddled her, and have a crying baby on my hands.  If  I go for the latter, how long will it take before she gets used to being unswaddle?

Offline Tammy: Ethan & Kaden's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 13:51:03 pm »
As someone who swaddled for about 7 months, I personally wouldn't go cold turkey!  I also have the miracle blanket, and it worked great, but he got too big for it. 

I weaned from the swaddle by starting with one arm out (he used to suck his thumb around 4 or 5 months - he's since quit).  I did that for a very long time, then moved to two arms out, so the blanket was just wrapped around his body and feet.  At that point, it wasn't so much a swaddle as just a blanket I used to keep him warm.  Then, I finally switched him to long sleeve footed pajamas, and got rid of the blanket.  He never knew the difference at that point, as he was rolling and crawling all over his crib anyway, and the blanket didn't stay put for long.

HTH!

Offline f1re_cr4cker

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 18:07:01 pm »
my lo could get out of the miracle blanket at 10 weeks but sew is mega strong and wriggly! id go for the aussie swaddle as shown in one of the over threads.even she cant get out of it!!

Offline faiths mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
when to stop swaddling
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 09:21:48 am »
thanks for the replys