Author Topic: flour wheat to rice, etc.  (Read 1718 times)

Offline bobby's mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
  • Boca Raton, FL USA
    • My Expanding Life Blog
flour wheat to rice, etc.
« on: November 10, 2005, 13:07:33 pm »
Does anyone know how to subsitute rice/barley/kamut flour for regular white flour?  Is it the same amount, or is there a different measurement?  I'm coming into baking season and I would like Liam to be able to eat some of my creations.  He's wheat and egg alergic.  I do have the egg replacer.
Lisa ~~~~ 
Mama to:

Colleen

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 01:39:46 am »
Is his allergy to wheat or to gluten? If it is gluten, then barley, oat, semolina, and rye are out as well -- and some brands of baking powder. 

For for each cup of wheat flour you can substitute one of these and add 1 teaspoon xanthan gum:
7/8 cup rice flour
1 cup soy flour plus 1/4 cup potato starch flour
1 cup corn flour
1 cup garbanzo or fava bean flour
1/2 cup Gar-fava plus 1/2 cup tapioca starch
1 cup of Bette Hagman GF mixture (2 parts white rice flour, 2/3 part potato starch flour, 1/3 part tapioca flour)

Offline bobby's mama

• Boca Raton, FL USA
    • My Expanding Life Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 13:05:03 pm »
Now I'm not sure.  They told me he tested positive for wheat and I asked later about gluten and they said it's same thing.  I hope that it is just wheat, b/c I have given him oat, barley, etc.  Not semolina, I thought it was a form of wheat??? I need to call now and make sure.  I'd hate to be feeding his allergens!!!
Lisa ~~~~ 
Mama to:

Colleen

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 15:06:05 pm »
As I understand it....

All wheat contains gluten. But gluten can also be found in other places wouldn't expect like salad dressings and candy. Page 229-231 of that book I listed in another thread list suspect items.

And back to our original question -- Wheat, some oats, rye, barley, spelt, kamut, triticale, and Semolina all contain gluten.

Offline bobby's mama

• Boca Raton, FL USA
    • My Expanding Life Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 13:22:28 pm »
What book is that? Or can you link to the thread?
Lisa ~~~~ 
Mama to:

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 18:26:59 pm »
Lisa, check out The Lounge for Colleen's thread a few days back to do with Cows milk and night terrors.  Nathan has recently been found gluten intolerant so we're going down this track (check out my thread in this forum titled Celiac) - it doesn't sound like that's what you're dealing with though since celiac (gluten intolerance) is diagnosed through a special blood test not the regular allergies panel.

Offline bobby's mama

• Boca Raton, FL USA
    • My Expanding Life Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 18:12:21 pm »
I was at the allergist today.  She said he hasn't been tested for gluten/celiac, but she wants to to act like he has it and see if it helps him.  His eczema sores on his feet still haven't healed since late July!! :shock:  :shock:  I have a hard enough time getting him to eat.  He's not real big on a lot of meats.  Any sugestions on what I should give him.  I esp. need help on lunches.

Oh, I wanted to add... I want to steer clear of rice and beans for lunches b/c he has a lot of that for dinner.  He also has rice cake for breakfast, along w/ banana & cheese.  (most days)
Lisa ~~~~ 
Mama to:

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 20:40:10 pm »
Lisa, has Liam had the bloods taken for gluten intolerance yet?  I'm pretty sure he needs to be on a normal diet otherwise the test results may not be accurate? 

Anyway, this is what Nathan eats on a day-to-day basis, I try and include some protein at every meal as it's a longer lasting energy.  Also, Nathan's not a big meat eater (until the last month or so) and surprisingly he was only slightly low in iron and my doctor didn't think it necessary to give him a special supplement, but I do give him a kids multi every day:

Breakfast: rice cereal with soy milk and a banana

Snack: corn thin wafer thing with peanut butter on half and a vegetable spread which is high in B vitamins on the other half (not marmite it has gluten), apple, carrot sticks, a couple of rice crackers, cheese, luncheon meat (gluten free)

Lunch (he pretty much has yoghurt, flaxseed oil and fruit with all lunches):
Scrambled egg with chopped up spinach, fresh herbs
Baked beans
Gluten free bread with grilled cheese
Avocado, tomato, carrot etc
Sometimes I give dinner for lunch because I was finding him more receptive to eating so would cook up beef or chicken chip type things (gluten free) with veges

Snack: same as above

Dinner: Fresh baked fish, oven fries (non gluten), salad
Sausage (gluten free) which is about 70% meat, with brocolli, plain potato, pumpkin
Chicken and mushroom casserole with rice
Roast chicken meal with veges
Vegetarian casserole with beans, potato, pumpkin etc, rice
Lazy dinner - red kidney beans and just a pick of other things from the fridge to balance it out

HTH :)

Offline bobby's mama

• Boca Raton, FL USA
    • My Expanding Life Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 21:59:23 pm »
They didn't test him.  I think I'm going to insist on it though b/c it's quite a change to make when I don't know for sure.  He's also allergic to egg and peanut, so those are out as well. 

I didn't realize that some meats contain gluten.  How did you find out all your info?  I really need to get educated about all this.
Lisa ~~~~ 
Mama to:

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 22:47:34 pm »
I agree it is a huge commitment, and you need to do it 100% gluten free for it to "cure" the body if that is the problem.  I know if I didn't know for sure I probably wouldn't be able to stick with it 100% - this way I know in my head that this is the ONLY way for my boy to be healthy.

Regular meats are fine, it's just the processed ones that you need to check what type of starch or filler has been added to it (it's honestly in so much food) - fortunately here in NZ our labelling laws means that if it's got wheat in it it needs to be disclosed on the label (of course it doesn't take into account the other grains that include gluten - not to mention malt, caramel flavour, soya sauce etc).

If you find out he is Celiac, PM me and I'll send you in the direction of a few websites etc and there are Celiac Societies in all countries that will send you a bunch of info.

Good luck.