Author Topic: Is this worth trying or do you have another idea?  (Read 1305 times)

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
Is this worth trying or do you have another idea?
« on: November 10, 2005, 15:02:12 pm »
I am thinking of just stopping nursing one feed at night - I hate to stop all cause he really does eat when I nurse - whether he needs it or not. So I am thinking that I will feed if he wakes up till about 11 and then not again till 5 and try this for a week and see if we get better sleep. DH is getting up at 5 so I don't mind a feed then and put him back to bed cause I have to get up to make lunch and coffee anyway. I am thinking I will just hold him and offer the paci and let him go back to sleep w/o  nursing anytime he gets up between 11-5 (roughly). What do you all think - is it worth trying - do you think it may work?
Or am I just better off trying some other method? Any ideas??????

BTW - we have tried PU/PD and he hates this - screams and upsets even more. Does use the paci and won't go to sleep w/o it, but typically doesn't wake just for the paci to be put back. Rarely use it at night. Just to go to sleep.

HELP PLEASE - I am so tired - wea are typically up 4 times a night at least!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline Susie-Q

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 15:29:22 pm »
I think it's a good idea.  I read basically the same idea from a Dr. Jay Gordon, I think that's what his name is.  He basically said to pick the most valuable 7 hours of the night - usually from 11 - 6 and feed him all he wants up until 10:59pm.  And nothing until the clock strikes 6am. 

But to gradually wean him to this schedule.  He had something about pulling him off the breast a few minutes earlier for the first 3 nights and son on and so on.   I think his site is http://www.drjaygordon.com

Offline sara_derek

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
    • family homepage
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 04:49:27 am »
Hi Jennifer,

That sounds like a good plan to me!  THat's how I figured out if my boys were nursing out of habit or hunger - see if they would be happy just sucking for a while.  And it worked!  Don't do pu/pd if you don't have to!  Good luck :)
Canyon 12/27/02
Christian 7/4/05

Angel#1 12/23/01
Angel #2 5/23/06
Angel #3 11/27/06

Offline CaedensMama

• Hand Full of Blessings
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 16:29:09 pm »
Okay - here's Friday mornings update!

Went to bed at 7:15 - went down pretty good

Up at 8:30 - held and gave paci, went right back to sleep

I woke up at 10:45, went in and he was kinda stirring, so I did a dreamfeed and he fed well and went right back to sleep

Up at 1:20-1:50 - Went to sleep with paci and some rocking and walking

Up ar 3:30 - almost fell asleep several times, but finally was SCREAMING by 4:30 and wouldn't console. I gave in - it was close to 5:00 (right :oops: ) and fed him. He nursed well and went back to sleep by 4:50

Up at 5:55 - tried putting him back to sleep but he was really struggling so I took him into bed with me, DH was already gone to work. He fussed and squirmed around till 6:30 when we got up.

Didn't feed again though till 7:30.

And he went down for his nap well at 9:00.

We will see how the weekend goes!!!!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)

Offline Joey'sMom

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 16:36:45 pm »
Good work, Jennifer!  Joey and I just went through this too, so I feel your pain (and exhaustion!).  Just to give you hope, I started this Monday, and last night he held himself off - didn't wake up at any of the old times!  So you're doing the right thing! :)
Mary Pat

Offline CaedensMama

• Hand Full of Blessings
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 17:55:57 pm »
Oh - thank you !!!! There is light at the end of the tunnel - or is that sleep at the end of the tunnel!!!!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)