Author Topic: Experiencing Major Guilt - don't know what to do  (Read 1379 times)

Offline TayTay'smummy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Experiencing Major Guilt - don't know what to do
« on: November 10, 2005, 17:49:32 pm »
Hello. I have an eight week old daughter who has been breast and bottle fed major four ounces a day since day one. Postpartum depression has been an issue so I've had to go on zoloft 50 mg a day, a low dose. The problem is I have huge anxiety about taking zoloft, I'm scared it's going to alter her brain in some way, I'm also scared about stoppin gbreastfeeding, I want her to have all the nutrients she needs and also I'm scared about stopping zoloft, I was really really depressed, it was horrible. I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place. How important is breastfeeding until six months. I'm scared I'm going to be causing her major harm by giving her formula. I feel so guilty all the time about thinking about weaning. But I am so frightened that I will cause her to have schizophrenia or something later on life, their little brains are so fragile.  What should I do . . please  :( help!
Mummy to Miss Taylor (Born Sept.14/05)

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 21:25:20 pm »
Honey,

First, calm down!  Your daughter needs a calm mommy.  That's why you really do need to take the Zoloft if it helps you.  I am a huge breastfeeding supporter, but I also believe that a calm mother is going to do more good than a diet of 100% breastmilk.

Second, I'm not totally sure that taking SSRIs is not compatible with breastfeeding.  My dh is a psychiatrist; when he gets home tonight I'll ask him to look up some studies and get back to you.  But from what I've heard, you have nothing to fear.  If Zoloft itself turns out to be a problem, you might be able to switch to a different SSRI that has better research to show no negative effects on breastfed babies.

Does your psychiatrist know you're nursing?  Did you talke to him/her about it before starting up the meds?  If not, place a call, and get some reassurance, and/or a different presciption.  I think Prozac has a good track record for being compatible with breastfeeding.  Again, I'm not sure, and will ask dh as soon as I can.

Meanwhile, breathe!  Try to stay calm and reduce your anxiety.  It will do you and your baby a world of good.
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

annamum

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 23:05:09 pm »
This is from Kellymom.com. This is an excellent source of info on breastfeeding and that site is very probreastfeeding. You can read more at: http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/antidepressants-hale10-02.html

Quote (selected)
Zoloft is the "best drug choice so far". It has a low, low transfer rate to breastmilk (17-173 ug/liter) in mothers taking up to 150 mg/day. In one excellent study of 11 mother/infant pairs, the zoloft was undetectable in 7 of the 11 breastfeeding infants' serum and minimal in the other infants. In two other studies of one and three mother/infant pairs respectively, zoloft was undetectable in the plasma of all 4 infants. A theoretical concern with Zoloft is that some babies may not gain weight as rapidly or as well when breastfed by moms on Zoloft; so weight gain should be monitored and dosage tweaked as necessary.

Offline beamama

• Showing Appreciation 32
  • San Jose, California, USA
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 01:17:43 am »
Hi Julie!
I don't have info for you on the effects of Zoloft, but it sounds like you've gotten some reassuring news already.
I just wanted to send you hugs and support.
Breastfeeding is a wonderful gift, no matter how long you are able to do it. So either way, all will be well!
I was all formula fed (unfortunately moms weren't supported in bf as they are today) and I turned out pretty well!  :D
Hang in there!
Bea
la mamá de Joseph, María y Monica

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 04:38:17 am »
Thanks, Monika!  I was trying to use dh's search engines to find out about drug transfer, since that's what he said was of the greatest concern, but couldn't get in.  So you did the work for me!

So Julie, it sounds like it's safe for you to keep up with the Zoloft AND breastfeeding.  Come back whenever you need help or support.
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 15:36:22 pm »
Zoloft IS very safe when breastfeeding.  (Babies who are given formula aren't harmed either, not to worry...it's just that breastmilk is specially designed for them!)  And you won't addle her brain with the meds.  Zoloft just helps your brain with its production of serotonin - a chemical it produces anyway. It gets into your breastmilk in really really small quantities, and what will end up getting to her should not affect her in the slightest. So your lo will not only get a mom who's giving her the wonderful gift of breastmilk, but also a mom who's looking after herself and feeling well! (I hope!!) :D
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha