Author Topic: Starting Solids and Breastfeeding Dillemas  (Read 1469 times)

Offline dallinsmommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Starting Solids and Breastfeeding Dillemas
« on: November 10, 2005, 18:19:27 pm »
I'm just not sure what to do; I need some help. Maybe I'm just making too much of it; but I need some help from veteran moms.

My son is 5 1/2 months old and over 20 lbs. he's been exclusively breastfed up to this point. He's never been really great on a schedule for eating; he has reflux and we've been trying different medications, etc. We now have the reflux under control, however, he's wanting to eat constantly. I think we need to get started on the solids, but I'm completely unsure on how/what to do. I want to keep nursing as much as possible but, also want him to get some solids in as well.

So, I'm thinking he should be on a 4 hour EASY by now; and maybe I could nurse and then do the solids an hour later-however, I'm wondering if that will lead to snacking? Or, if that's how it should be? Also, I've offered him solids a couple times and he just keeps eating and eating like there's no tomorrow-will he eat too much or should I just keep giving it to him? If I'm offering the solid an hour afte breastfeeding shouldn't he be full? Will he learn to not nurse and much in hopes of the solid?

Yesterday he ate almost every two hours (full feeds), he used to just take one breast most of the time; however lately he's taking one breast and a lot of the second as well. He's also waking at night and taking FULL feeds at least 2-3 times. I think he needs some other foods as well. Is it possible I'm just not making enough milk? I seem to have if anything PLENTY of milk, so, I'm not sure what's going on. He is eating and eating and eating though. Should I be limiting him on nursing? Will he gain too much? Ahhh-I'm so confused.

Any advice would be great. Thanks ladies. :)

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 21:44:28 pm »
Sometimes they go through an odd growth spurt. My ds had one at 4 months that lasted two weeks!  :shock:  He ate every couple hours and around the clock. (My period had just returned too, so he was trying to increase my milk supply)

If this is a recent occurance (like yesterday, as what you suggested) I would go with his flow and let him increase your milk supply.

A typical solids amount is 1-4 TEASPOONS, starting with once per day. Your milk needs to be the main source of nutrition, so it is important to let him increase it naturally like he is trying. When you offer solids, it is exactly like you suggested, an hour after feeding, usually in the morning.

He may just be one of those *really* interested babies, in solids, that is! Which is awesome!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

annamum

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 06:38:58 am »
It looks to me he is going though a growth spurt. My dd had one when she was also 5.5 months. Just nurse him more often and see what happens in a few days.

I would offer solids some time after nursing, you may find your own "best time" to do it. And yes, don't go overboard with amounts of solids during his first meals, you still want him to have space for your milk, breastmilk should be his main source of nutrition for the first 12 months. Solids are more for adding new flavors, textures, although there are some babies that are ravenous and love solids from the beginning.

Good luck!

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 07:40:22 am »
I have a 5.5mo who is almost 10kg - just under 22lb  & I feed him roughly 5.30/6am, 8am, 11.30, 3.00, 6.45 & 7.15pm top up after bath. I am yet to start him on solids & so just wanted to say it is possible that your milk supply isn't as much as it could be, so he is having a growth spurt.

BTW my first was like this too
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline dallinsmommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 17:49:24 pm »
Thanks so much for your responses-you're so reassuring and helpful. Thank you. Kate, thanks for sharing your experiences too-it helps knowing that it's possible for him to keep going on breastmilk alone.

I think we're going to keep with the brestfeeding as much as he wants; even if it's every couple hours and hold off on the solids. I did start him on some pears in the morning, but I'm limiting it to a couple teaspoons. He LOVES to eat anything it seems; I don't want him to fill completely on the solids. It's hard knowing how much, etc. to give him. I guess he'll get my milk supply back up and we'll hopefully get back on some kind of routine and then we'll dive into more solids-slowly that is.

I had no idea starting solids would be so overwhelming-I'm sure I'm making too much of it; but I want to do it right and make sure my milk supply stays up where it should be. Thanks again for all of your help.

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 18:51:36 pm »
I think a lot of things are pretty overwhelming when you're a first time mom!  :D I know what you mean about wanting to do things right.  Sometimes I have to make a concentrated effort to just step back and go with the flow!  Your milk supply should come up pretty quickly, with him feeding so often - not to worry - and he can't gain too much weight from just breastmilk.  :)
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 20:35:19 pm »
Even for a 2nd time Mum the thought of solids is overwhelming...I like just being able to bf & the thought of juggling the 2 & making sure bf is still Liam's main food souce does cause me concern, so you aren't making too much of it.
Motherhood is very stressful & to successfully bf a big baby is just fantastic. You are doing a great job.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05