Author Topic: 45 minute naps caused by developmental milestone?  (Read 866 times)

Offline Lucysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
45 minute naps caused by developmental milestone?
« on: November 10, 2005, 19:41:44 pm »
Hi -

My 5.5 month old dd was a 45 minute napper but grew out of it.  I stopped doing wake to sleep to try to extend naps and she did it on her own.  So for the last few weeks she has been having great naps, an odd 45 minute one thrown in there but then she would make up for it later in the day.  Her night sleep is brilliant 10-12 hours.  Anyway, she has not rolled over yet and it looks like she is getting close to doing it.  This week she seems generally unsettled - not as smiley and a bit fussy which is unusual (she is such a happy baby it is insane).  She is also taking 45 minute naps again and I can hear her all the way downstairs slamming her legs on the mattress when she wakes up.  I wait to see if she can resettle and sometimes she does but this is baffling.  Her awake time is 2-2.25 hours and she falls asleep independently.  Has anyone experienced the 45 minute naps as a precursor to a developmental milestone?  Could the "potential roll" be disrupting her naps?  She sleeps on her back and is in a positioner.  TIA....

Gigismom

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 20:59:20 pm »
hi
my dd grew out of the 45 min naps at about that age too, but we were revisited by them several times.  the age of 6-8 months is kind of tricky as they have LOTS of new things going on and are becoming more aware.  some things to consider:
is she maybe teething?
is it time to get rid of the positioner (i.e. she's uncomfortable in it?)
is she experiencing separation anxiety?
is she ready for a longer awake time?  the 2-2.25 hours seems about right, but maybe she is ready for 2.25-2.5 hours.
and possibly it could be the getting ready to roll over monster keeping her up.

Offline shem2005

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 07:17:56 am »
I think that developmental milestones can effect their naps. My DD usually sleeps 7-7 and was having good naps, then two teeth popped up with no problems and her day time naps became 45 mins to 1 hour!!! She seems to have more problems with the teeth up than pushing through.

Also in the last couple of days my dd (5 months) has started to master sitting up by herself and once she accomplished this - over the last 2 days we have had fairly good naps of 1.5-2.5 hours.