Author Topic: Steaming versus boiling  (Read 1696 times)

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
Steaming versus boiling
« on: November 11, 2005, 01:28:43 am »
I have a silly question. :?   I would like to prepare my own babyfood however I do not own a steamer.  When it says to "Steam" fruits or vegetables, could I put them in a little bit of boiling water instead?  I tried it with Sweet potato and it seemed to work all right but am nervous to try it with fruits such as pears and apples.
Judy

Offline carolyn

• Showing Appreciation 67
Steaming versus boiling
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 02:18:58 am »
I think as long as you use a little bit of water and don't submerge the veggies you are ok.  If you boil them, you cook the nutrients out of the veggie and into the water.  You can always use the water to help puree them if you need to.

You can poach apples and pears in a little bit of water or juice.  I used white grape juice.  Just find one without any added sugar.
carolyn
John's mommy :-)

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Steaming versus boiling
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 02:19:07 am »
it is fine - steaming preserves more nutrients as they leech into the water, but i found that when i go to puree or mash instead of adding outside water to thin it - use the water the food was boiled in - especially pear "juice"

the only food i have read to really try not to boil (but i always do anyway :oops: ) is carrots because of nitrites (?).  unless your carrots are labeled as nitrite free.  that is a time when frozen carrots or baby food carrots are probably better than homemade.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified