Author Topic: Increasing supply  (Read 1398 times)

Offline joslil

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Increasing supply
« on: November 11, 2005, 05:13:38 am »
I have plenty of milk for nursing, but would like to increase it a bit so I can pump to have extra bottles on hand for adding to cereal now that he's over 3 months...any simple ideas.  More sleep is not an option and I already to try to get enough fluids.  He nurses every 2 hours when awake.  Help - do not want to spend $$ on formula!
S - mom to...
pink - 09/15/2001
pink - 08/31/2003
blue - 07/21/2005

Offline Chantel03

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 25
Increasing supply
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 05:22:29 am »
Do you have a pump?  The way I increased my supply was that I pumped both sides after ds had nursed.  I would pump for about 10min's.  Then I would freeze it or store it in the fridge.
Tanner- My active, fun loving 4yr old.
Kaitlyn- My new baby girl.

annamum

Increasing supply
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 05:27:55 am »
Hi,

Since you already nurse pretty often, I would recommend taking Fenugreek, it is a herb known for increasing supply in lactating mothers. In far East, nursing mothers take Fenugreek daily with food, just as a part of their diet. You can find it in a form of a tea or as capsules which are more potent. Some say to use Fenugreek in combination with Blessed Thistle, both can be found in health food stores. Follow dose recommendation on the container, usually you need to take each 3 times a day or more. I have heard that if you start to smell like a maple syrup that is the sign you are taking enough of it. Effects are usually noticeable within 24 hours.

Another option would be to pump in between nursings, the best time is in the mornings when your supply is high.

Offline kzener

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Increasing supply
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 02:46:37 am »
I wrote this in another posting:

I definately don't have an overabundant supply and am constantly working to keep/increase my supply. This is how I increased my suppply:

1. keep pumping a few minutes after the pump seemed to stop getting milk out
2. pumped immediately after each feeding (even if I only got 1/2 ounce out..it triggered my body to keep trying for more) OR
3. at the time ds only nursed from 1 side, so I pumped at the same time I was feeding him. (there was an art to that..I used a pillow and nursed in football hold so that I had a free hand for the pump)
4. drank tons and tons of water

All of the above was sort of a pain, but it worked. To this day I still pump at the same time I feed him in the morning when he wakes up. (I used to do it when it was a 4 am feed..but now he has dropped that and wakes at 7:30) I can get out 6 ounces from one breast at that time of the day. All the rest of my pumping sessions during the day are only 2 from each breast. So if you can catch that first early morning feed, you might be surprised how much you can get. (note: I find the manual Avent Isis pump easier to use while feeding than an electric pump)

I also bought Fennegreek and blessed thistle, but haven't had to take them yet. (apparently you need to take them together) I also bought some mothers milk tea, but not sure if that works well or not. (i wasn't consistent about drinking 3-5 cups/day)

Offline ginger

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 03:45:26 am »
What are the signs that you are not producing enough milk or that your supply is less than optimal?

Offline joslil

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Increasing supply
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 18:03:59 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions - and...

Ginger, my supply is great, I just want to increase it so I can pump bottles for when dh needs a bottle or I need a little for making cereal.  I just don't want to buy formula if I can avoid it and I'm going through all my free samples and my freezer stock fast.
S - mom to...
pink - 09/15/2001
pink - 08/31/2003
blue - 07/21/2005