Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« on: November 11, 2005, 11:44:53 am »
I finally have my 18 month old DD on a predictable schedule which at the moment is:

5:30-7:15 wake up (who knows when)
11-11:30 nap (usually until 2:00)
7:15 in crib for bedtime

The problem is that she is up half the night playing and talking in her crib.  I never go in there to get her back to sleep as she's not crying, just talking her head off....she usually will do this for about 3 hours a night total ... and while we don't keep our monitors on, she is so loud, it is impossible not to hear her so my husband and I are up too....

Last night we put her in at 7:30 and she was half asleep and half crying until 10:30!!!!!!!  Then she woke up a few times to talk and woke up at 5:30 a.m.

I am at wits end here....no matter what we do she just refuses to sleep through.  This has been going on for two weeks now and we are all exhausted.  Any advice?  Should I try putting her in later (I hate to do that as we love our early evenings), cut off her nap at 2 hours??? what should I do????????

Thanks
Jackie

Offline ella&jack'smum

• Showing Appreciation 54
What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 12:26:44 pm »
my Jack has been very similar at times - based on my (small) experience I'd be tempted to chop the nap back to 1.5 hours - worked with Jack - some babies just don't need as much kip!
Sue

Ella Rose 07/09/02
Jack Rowan 15/03/04
Stratford upon Avon, England

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 23:57:39 pm »
Well today I took your advice and woke her after 2 hours (1.5 would NEVER be enough sleep for her).....and we paid for it majorly.  At about 4 p.m. she was just EXHAUSTED but we kept her up until 6:45 and then put her in.  So far she went to sleep with no problems which is better than last night...now we're just hoping she sleeps through....thanks :)

Offline ella&jack'smum

• Showing Appreciation 54
What would you do?
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 13:19:09 pm »
how's it going now....any improvement?
Sue

Ella Rose 07/09/02
Jack Rowan 15/03/04
Stratford upon Avon, England

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 12:15:22 pm »
It was going well for a few days with minimal wakings and even when she did was very short....but now we're back to her talking/whining/etc in the middle of the night.  Last night was two hours.  I just can't figure her out.  I don't know if I should put her to bed later...I haven't tried that in ages and am wondering if that's my next step.

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 11:09:17 am »
Don't know if anyone is listening to this thread...BUT this stinks...she's still going strong for a few months now.  I don't know what to change!  I am just tired.  I'm petrified I'm going to be up with her and the baby come June.

Offline Samismum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
What would you do?
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 00:35:05 am »
Hi....

my 15mth ds is practically on the same schedule as yours.

I know this might sound silly but ds used to do the same thing(talking,wining,crying etc) at night when he was hungry...i give him a snack about 20mins before bedtime milk. (normally cheese on toast or 1/2 sandwich)

otherwise im not sure what it could be.......Sorry

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 11:58:11 am »
She already gets a snack but I'm going to see if I can do yogurt instead of the crackers she's getting now.  Maybe that will be more filling.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Showing Appreciation 49
What would you do?
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 12:24:58 pm »
Hi

THats a very similar schedule to DS but we have cracked the early mornings - fingers crossed and most of the night waking.

Don't bother with the later bedtime it was a diaster for us!

I have done two things.  First got a little bedside light with a timer plug that comes on at 6.30am.

Then, if he wakes and whinges at any time, I go in and say its still the middle of the night, go to sleep.  Tuck him in and leave.  I know, I know you aren't supposed to go in unless they are crying but I think we've got past that baby stage now and I need to tell him - and he understands what I'm saying - that sitting up talking in the middle of the night is not what you do.

Anyway, to cut a long story short.  mornings have gone from 5.30 to 6.30 and night wakings have been just one or two in the last week.  I've had some mornings where I wake with a start when I realise I haven't had to go in.

THe other thing is to do lots of physical activity in the morning.  That was the other thing recommended to me and upping the amount he walks has certainly helped.

HTH
Jenny

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 15:12:01 pm »
Thanks for all the advice.

I feel like I've done everything everyone said.  Last night I went in (after 30 mins) and told her it's time for night night and to go to sleep...1.5 hours later she fell asleep.  I've told my husband that when she does it tonight, he's going in.  He's stricter and she listens better to what he says.  She's waking up pretty much at 6:30 already so wake up hasn't been an issue.....