Author Topic: Fenugreek - how to take it?  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Rachel's Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.teamfluffy.com/baby
Fenugreek - how to take it?
« on: November 11, 2005, 14:56:53 pm »
I was sure I saw some details on this in an earlier post - but couldn't find it, so apologies for clogging up the board.

How do you actually take fenugreek then?  I know it's great in curries, but I'm guessing you need to do a bit more than eat lots of curries to try and increase supply?!

I went to my local health food store, and it comes in ground seed or whole seed.  The chap behind the counter hadn't heard of it's use for breastfeeding, but he looked in his book which suggested making a tea with the seeds (hmmm.. curry tea... should be interesting!).

So, before I try this - has anyone got any recipe suggestions?!

Offline mcruari

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 361
  • Turin, Italy (but Irish at heart)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 15:08:18 pm »
Hi there,
are you maybe talking about fennel seeds? I know I took lots of fennel herbals while I was B/F but I got them made up at a herbal store - are you taking it for a gassy baby?

Sinead
Sinéad

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 15:25:47 pm »
You're NOT clogging up the site!  :D Here's info from thebirthden.com:

Herbs for increasing milk supply

It is quite possible that herbal remedies help increase milk supply.  There are several drugs that obviously do increase milk supply, and of course it is reasonable to assume that some plants and herbs might contain similar pharmacological agents.  Almost every culture has some sort of herb or plant or potion to increase milk supply.  Some may work as placebos, which is fine; some may not work at all; some may have one or more active ingredients.  Some will have active ingredients that will not increase the milk supply but have other effects, not necessarily desirable.  Note that even herbs can have side effects, even serious ones.  Natural source drugs are still drugs, and there is no such thing as a 100% safe drug.  Luckily, as with most drugs, the baby will get only a tiny percentage of the mother’s dose.  The baby is thus extremely unlikely to have any side effects at all from the herbs. Two herbal treatments that seem to increase the milk supply are fenugreek and blessed thistle, in the following dosages:

Fenugreek:       3 capsules 3 times a day
Blessed thistle:    3 capsules 3 times a day, or 20 drops of the tincture 3 times a day

The tincture container states that blessed thistle should not be taken by nursing mothers, presumably because of the tiny amount of alcohol the mother would get.  There are some preparations of both herbs that are labelled “not for use by nursing mothers”.  Don’t worry about this; these herbs are safe for the mother to take because so little gets into the milk.  Teas also seem to work, but to take enough to make a difference,you will be drinking tea all day and night, since the amount of the herbs you get is much less.

•   Fenugreek and blessed thistle seem to work better if you take both, not just one or the other.
•   Fenugreek and blessed thistle work quickly. If they do work, you will usually notice a difference within 3 to 4 days of starting taking them.  If not, they probably won’t work.
•   Fenugreek is often sold as a combination with thyme.  Do not buy this combination, but try to get the capsules with fenugreek alone.
•   Herbal remedies are not standardized, so though the bottle of fenugreek, for example, may say that it contains 405, 505, 605 or 705 mg/capsule, we do not really know how much of the active ingredient you are taking.  Fenugreek has a distinct smell.  If you cannot smell it on your skin, you are not taking enough, even if you are taking three capsules three times a day.
•   Fenugreek and blessed thistle seem also to work better in the first few weeks than later.  In fact they tend to work best in the first week.  Domperidone works better after the first few weeks. (See handouts 19a and 19b Domperidone 1 and Domperidone 2 for more information.)
•   You can take fenugreek and blessed thistle together with domperidone if you feel they are helping.  If you take the herbs and domperidone, take domperidone at the same time, 3 tablets three times a day.
•   If you are ready to stop fenugreek and blessed thistle, you can probably stop suddenly, or wean off over a week or so. 
•   Fenugreek does not cause low blood sugar.  Where this rumour came from is unknown.

Other herbal treatments that have been used to increase milk supply are: raspberry leaf, fennel, goat’s rue, brewer’s yeast, alfalfa, nettle tea and many others.  The effectiveness of none of these treatments, including blessed thistle and fenugreek, has been proved.  Remember! Herbal treatments are only part of the solution to “not enough milk” (see protocol to increase breastmilk intake by the baby).  See also the website http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html for videos on how to latch a baby on, how to know the baby is getting milk, how to use compression, how to use a lactation aid, as well as information sheets on breastfeeding.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha